cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

GLC-LH-SM compatibility with Fujitsu FC9681EGX1-I04 Ethernet card in Flashwave 4100 mux

kvescovi
Level 1
Level 1

I've tried unsuccessfully twice to cut our ATT Internet link over to our new 4451 router with GLC-LH-SM terminating the connection.

The existing router is a 7206 with a 1000 base-LX GBIC transceiver.

The local loop is via a Verizon Fujitsu Flashwave 4100 with FC9681EGX1-I04 Ethernet card (HECI code sbuiab8aad)

There are no problems with the 7206 GBIC talking to the flashwave.

When I move it to the 4451 GLC-LH-SM there is no recognition of a signal.  

As a test, I connected the 4451 GLC to another one in a nexus optical ethernet card and it came right up. I even configured L3 addresses

and was able to ping and ssh to the 4451.

So I made a second attempt with the ATT link.  I changed the GLC in the 4451.  Same result.

I next checked the receive/transmit levels:

GLC tx: 5.2dBm

GLC rx: 5.8dBm (from fujitsu)

These levels are acceptable according to the GLC specs. (ref: http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/switches/metro/me6500/hardware/installation/guide/hig/0Bxcvrs.pdf)

The jumpers between the fujitsu and the 4451 have been verified and the length is about 18m.

Any insight to a solution is appreciated.

3 Replies 3

Marvin Rhoads
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

I have seen on occasion cases where we have to explicitly specify the interface speed (even though the SFP only runs at one speed).

interface Gix/y

speed 1000

It's worth a try. Everything else seems OK per your posting.

There isn't a speed setting on the port when media-type is sfp, only auto-negotiation or no auto-negotiate.  Even with auto-negotiate on, as it was, you'd think a console message would be generated.  The console didn't utter a letter. I thought I had a cross in the jumpers, but checked that 3 or more times.  I haven't tried the 'no negotiation auto' yet, but that seems to be the next logical step.

interface GigabitEthernet0/0/0
 description att 100 Mb/s ethernet id: .
 ip address 12.x.x.x 255.255.255.252
 no ip redirects
 no ip proxy-arp
 ip access-group att-ipv4-internet-in in
 load-interval 30
 media-type sfp
 negotiation auto
 ipv6 address 2001:xxxx:xxxx
 ipv6 traffic-filter att-internet-in in
!         

Based on this blog post: 

http://herdingpackets.net/2013/03/21/disabling-gigabit-link-negotiation-on-fiber-interfaces/comment-page-1/#comment-6775

Looks like turning off auto negotiation should do the trick.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: