cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Dynamically choose fastest route

Brian Green
Level 1
Level 1

I have a question - can I dynamically assign the route metric to a static route?

Background:  I have a Hub-and-Spoke setup that uses DMVPN to create the tunnels.  It is possible that the spokes talk to two (or more) different hubs.  The spokes have a link between them.  What I would like to do is, if the connection between Hub1 and Spoke1 uses a slow connection (i.e. satellite) and the connection between Hub2 and Spoke2 uses a fast one (for example, the Internet) send traffic from behind Spoke1 across the link to Spoke2 and into the tunnel there.  But this would need to be dynamic to a degree as I can't say what carrier(s) the end-user will be using before they depart.

Unfortunately the configs are not local to this network, so I'd have to retype and sanitize them to put them here.

Thanks for any thoughts or ideas!

Brian

1 Reply 1

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Disclaimer

The Author of this posting offers the information contained within this posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose. Information provided is for informational purposes only and should not be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind. Usage of this posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In no event shall Author be liable for any damages whatsoever (including, without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit) arising out of the use or inability to use the posting's information even if Author has been advised of the possibility of such damage.

Posting

Perhaps PfR.

Or, perhaps, you run your own SLA and have your own scripts check performance and change routing config.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card