cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

SG500 Crash - VOIP phone need repatching to work?

Andy Roberts
Level 1
Level 1

Bit of a random question but I've had it a couple of times now so need to reach out for some advice.

We have 6x SG500-52P switches in a stack via 5G SFPs which have worked great so far.  Into that we have Cisco 7841 PoE VOIP phones which via CDP get put into VLAN30 for voice while our user desktop lan via the phone gets VLAN1, and this works fine.

However, every few months if we haven't rebooted the stack, the management interface dies and takes connectivity with it so anything using LLDP dies and after a few hours, all low level broadcast traffic like DHCP stops as well.  If we power cycle the stack master everything comes back and works fine.   A question around that issue on here seemed to indicate its a known issue which requires occasional reboots.

Anyway, we've had that happen twice this year and a reboot fixed it, but the last time it happened instead of all the phones coming back online after the reboot, probably 40 out of 200 phones failed to connect.  They powered but wouldn't get put into VLAN30 by CDP so couldn't register.  They weren't isolated to one switch either, it was spread across the stack.   If we repatched a phone to another port in the same switch it still didn't work, BUT if we patched it to another switch it worked.   So after that was resolved a few weeks later I tried repatching some of the affected phones back to there original ports/switches but they fail to work still?   Odd.

All I can see in the logs are this:-

2015-08-28 07:56:40 Local7.Warning 172.25.10.1 1 2015-08-28T06:55:29+12:00 172.25.10.1 NT_GREEN - EeeLldpMultiNeighbours - %NT_GREEN-W-EeeLldpMultiNeighbours: Multiple LLDP neighbours on port gi1/1/48 - EEE operational state is FALSE    

Any ideas what would cause this and why as its pretty frustrating and making me nervous for the next time the stack needs a reboot.

5 Replies 5

Mark Malone
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi that sounds buggy,if its happening so regularly I would look into upgrading the firmware what version are you on , you shouldn't wait for the stack to reboot again

Thx.   Does upgrading firmware reboot the entire stack or can it be done on a per switch basis?   Sorry never done a full stack firmware upgrade before.

HI all switches should run the same software/firmware when in a stack

Sorry, yeah I understand they all need to be on the same firmware.  what i meant was when you do a firmware upgrade in a stack, does the entire stack go down at once or does it allow you to do staggered switch upgrades to minimize outages?

Your going to access by the mgmt address whether its https or ssh and you have to reboot after the upgrade so it will be the stack that reboots, you could break the stack and do it individually but thats alot of extra work for an upgrade and leaves it open for other issues like the stack not reforming properly

http://sbkb.cisco.com/CiscoSB/GetArticle.aspx?docid=aaa8d2875a264c679cdb3601c7aa8e86_Firmware_Update_via_HTTP_HTTPS_on_200_Series_Switches.xml&pid=2&converted=0

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card