Views
Helpful
Replies

multicast

Jose Salazar
Level 1
Level 1

Hi

I have a video surveillance system in my network that works with multicast address. It uses 100 multicast address that starts from 224.16.17.1. Each camera receive one (01) multicast IP. For example camera 1 will be 224.16.17.1, camera 2 will be 224.16.17.2 and so on.

I configured the multicast routing in my router and I am using sparse-mode multicast.

My question is how do I configure a complete range for this 100 multicast IP?

I know that I can use ip igm joing 224.16.17.1 on the interface but this is just one interface but I need that the router permits join for the complete range.

which command can I use?

I will appreciate any help

Thanks

Jose

2 Replies 2

Not sure I understand the exact requirement. If you enable IGMP through your network then the endpoints can join and leave IGMP groups automatically. You don't need to assign IGMP groups manually.

Are you carrying video over WAN or within LAN.

Jonathan Schulenberg
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

The 'ip igmp join' command is only necessary if you want to manually force an interface to join a multicast group. It's usually only used when testing multicast routing, though I have used it once for a very obscure live music config.

You do not need to join interfaces to a subnet group under normal circumstances. The computer(s) that want to receive that traffic will send out an IGMP join which the default gateway, typically an SVI interface, will convert to a PIM message if the router is properly participating in PIM ASM routing. The *,G tree will then branch across the network from the IP camera's default gateway to the client's default gateway.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: