cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

RV325 Static DCHP?

Byron Sands
Level 1
Level 1

just bought an RV325 to change out an RV130... cant't figure out how to do static DCHP with RV325. Does it do it? I.E., if I bind the MAC of a laptop in the RV325, it still comes up with an addr from the free DCHP table and is apparently not offering the bound IP addr. How do I get DCHP to offera static IP addr? I upgraded the firmware to 1.2.1.13 when I got it.

thanks

6 Replies 6

Byron Sands
Level 1
Level 1

bump...

does the RV325 do static DHCP?

jbattist
Level 1
Level 1

Hello

thanks for that... I will expand the range and see if that works. That thought hadn't occurred to me.

On other routers which have static DCHP functions, including Cisco, I have always intentionally setup static DCHP tables using addresses outside of the pool range to insure that addresses intended for static devices would not have been inadvertently handed out already by the DCHP proc.

It may be that I have been using static DHCP functions for uses other than those for which it static DCHP was designed. When I have added a device which I wish to always remain at a specific address, rather than going into that device to tell it to be static (some devices don't have that option even), I have merely added its MAC into the static DHCP table of the router at the address I have chosen. Then when it boots and asks for an address, it is given the address I wish it to have.

Example, I may want all printers in the range of .200-.219, all NAS boxes in the range .230-.239, etc. It would seem that if the free address pool were expanded to encompass those addresses, that DHCP may have already handed out one of my "reserved" address before I added the next "static" device in that group.

If you look at the running/startup config file, those bindings are in the config file and are loaded at startup.  So the IP addresses are bound to the MAC addresses before any address is handed out by the server, so the DHCP server would not have the chance to assign them, they would be reserved from the moment the server is up and running. 

In the Small Business routers, since the DHCP server is still handing out the statically assigned addresses, they have to be part of the assignable pool for the server to give it out.  Hope this makes sense.  Thanks Byron.

Byron Sands
Level 1
Level 1

***********UPDATE*****************

I was wrong. DHCP is handing out addresses as bound. Not sure why it appeared to not be doing that initially. Different problem that I will post separately -- I can only bind 30 addresses apparently??? Maybe a way around that???

***********UPDATE*****************

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: