cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

How can I expand my network with a SG300-28P switch?

woutter01
Level 1
Level 1

At the moment I already have a SG300-28P switch, but im running out of ports. So now I want to buy another one, but I have no idea how to stack those switches.. We are Downloading a lot inside the network from our servers and we want this to stay fast. Do I need to buy glassviber modules and a glassviber cable? Or can I fix this with SFP? I have no idea how those things work tho, could anyone tell me what the best option is to keep maximum performance?

Thanks in Advance!

4 Replies 4

Aleksandra Dargiel
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi,

Stacking (referring to Cisco concept) is not the option for SG300 switches as they do not support stacking. But you could possibly use port 25-28 as those are directly connected to processor interfaces. You could also consider creating link aggregation on those ports which overall will increase bandwidth between one side of your network and the other.

I do not necessarily suggest purchasing fiber modules and cables as those switches supports only up to 1G, unless there is a need for longer distance between switches and regular 100m would not be enough.

I hope this helps,

Aleksandra

The switches are 10cm from each other tho. and I just want to download with 80MB per second form the server on switchA to a client on switchB. I actually want to make one big switch of those 2 switches

Hi,

You cannot really make SG300 stackable as one switch, meaning one mac address and one bridge for STP, one management interface. This feature is available only on 500 series switches.

However you can still connect them as two units and ensure the best connection between them utilizing the links I mentioned before.

Aleksandra

Brandon Svec
Level 7
Level 7

As Aleksandra said that model does not support stacking so really you just need to take a regular patch cord and connect between one spare port on each switch.  I don't expect you will notice any performance issue between switches, but you may want to try to organize your ports is such a way where clients and resources that are most important are together on one switch.  Besides that, do you have any configuration on the switch like VLANs?  if not, you should be good to go.  If yes, you might need to create a trunk port between the switches to pass VLAN traffic.  Good luck.

-- please remember to rate and mark answered helpful posts --
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Switch products supported in this community
Cisco Business Product Family
  • CBS110
  • CBS220
  • CBS250
  • CBS350
Cisco Switching Product Family
  • 350X
  • 550X