Views
Helpful
Replies

Migrating DataCenter over vPC

jhager001
Level 1
Level 1

See poorly drawn diagram for reference. 
We are currently in the drawing boards of moving our datacenter to a new building down the street. We've bought some 9k's to be our new Core switches and plan to pair them together in their own vPC, and then trunk the existing Core switches to them and start migrating devices over two 10g links.

Internet services, flexpods, etc will all be moved at individual times and definitely the servers moved after replicating to "temporary" jump gear or new equipment.

My question is, having the two 10g links between the two is efficient enough? or do I need extra links between to implement this correctly? This isn't a question about bandwidth, this is more of a question about having a "keepalive" link between the 5k and 9k, or will the port-channel trunk be sufficient enough?

Also accepting other ideas if you have them! Just trying to figure out what's going to work best for our scenario.

2 Replies 2

Steve Fuller
Level 9
Level 9

Hi,

When using vPC all keep alives are between the two switches that form the vPC domain. The setup that you're proposing has two vPC domains, the first formed from the Nexus 5K in the existing DC and the second formed with the Nexus 9K in the new DC.

This means that your vPC keep alives will be "vertical" in your diagram i.e., between 5K top and 5K bottom for the vPC domain in the current DC, and between 9K top and 9K bottom for the vPC domain in your new DC.

There will be no keepalives associated with vPC sent across the port-channel 20 in your diagram. There will be IEEE 802.3ad Link Aggregation Control Protocol Data Units (LACPDU) peiodiclly sent across if you've configured the port-channel member interfaces with the command channel-group <group> mode active for example, but there are no keep alives associated with vPC sent across this link.

Regards

Thank you for the reply! Everything you just said has confirmed my thought process wasn't that far out. Thank you for clarifying this for me!

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card