cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

UC 9971 Ip Phone

grahammessenger
Level 1
Level 1

I just purchased a 9971 IP phone. I'm wondering if i can configure it for sip use outside a cisco network. I have a grand stream UCM i want this ip phone to connect to. If it can. How do I do this as there is no web interface for the device?

Thanks,

Graham

22 Replies 22

Wilson Samuel
Level 7
Level 7

You will have to contact the System Admin of the UCM or SIP PBX to use this phone.

HTH

Hey Wilson, I am the admin of the sip pbx. I'm just unsure of how to configure it without a web interface.

I am the admin of the sip pbx. I'm just unsure of how to configure it without a web interface.

Describe what you're trying to achieve. 

Are you trying to get the 9971 to register to a 3rd party SIP server, like Asterisk/3CX?

Exactly. I'm trying to use it with a grandstream ucm 

I am not familiar with Grandstream but a lot of people has had major success getting "basic" functions of the 9971 to work with 3rd party SIP servers, like Asterisk.  

NOTE:  When I mean "basic", I mean incoming/outgoing calls, voice mail function, call transfer, pick-up group.  So far, a few people have been able to make progress with video calling.  

The basic "principle" applies to the 9900-series phones:  The phone requires DHCP Option 150 to determine the IP address of the TFTP server is.  TFTP is mandatory because it is the depository of all the files related to the phone(s):  SEPmacaddress.xml.cnf (important), dialplan.xml (equally important), phone firmware files (not so important but nice to have), directory.xml (optional), softkey.xml (optional).   

The SEPmacaddress.xml.cnf will allow the HTTP/HTTPS and/or SSH on each individual phones, HOWEVER, this option is NOT meant to "configure" the phones, rather they are just used for troubleshooting purposes only.  All the configurations required to make the phone individually behave is in the all-important SEPmacaddress.cnf.xml file.  

Ok if I understand I need to tftp into the phone pull certain config files and then re upload them. 

Theres no gui that can be used? 

Ok, attached to this response is a known working 9971 configuration (SEPmacaddress.cnf.xml) file.  

Things that needed to look out for are the XML tags with ALL-CAPS.  

WARNING:  DO NOT change the XML tag of <proxy>USECALLMANAGER</proxy>!  Leave this alone. 

Configure the Grandstream extension to the 9971 with a transport value of UDP.  

If Grandstream does not support UDP, then configure Grandstream phone extension to TCP and then change the following: 

1.  <proxy>GRANDSTREAM IP ADDRESS</proxy>

2.  <transportLayerProtocol>1</transportLayerProtocol>

The configuration allows HTTP access to the phone (via the XML tag of "<webAccess>0</webAccess>") and SSH.  

Now SSH access is slightly "tricky".   If you look at the top of the file, it states there that the username/password is "cisco".  So when anyone SSH-es into the phone, you'll be asked to authenticate TWICE.  The first one will use the username/password specified on the SEPmacaddress.xml.cnf file.  The next authentication "challenge" is "debug/debug".  As stated above, HTTP and SSH is NOT meant to do any configuration.   HTTP & SSH access is only there for troubleshooting purposes.

Hope this helps. 

Don't forget to rate our useful posts.  

thank you for your support. i did as you told and edit the file and put it in the TFTP root directory and point the phone but it says missing other file. attached screen shot.

attached debug display

Wish I saw this thread earlier.... I have 3 9971's, 4 7970's, and a 7961 running with Asterisk.

To make all the features work properly, you'll need to patch Asterisk.

I would start here:

https://issues.asterisk.org/jira/browse/ASTERISK-13145

http://docs.acsdata.co.nz/asterisk-cisco/document-overview.shtml

Thank you topher 227. But I can't batch Yeastar mypbx. No other way to configure through web interface?

I did the same confirms in the xml file and pointed phone to my laptop as tftp but saying one file is missing after uploading the xml and failed to register

Don't worry about the TLV files as they are not important/critical.  I'm concerned about the other XML file that the phone is constantly looking for as I'm not familiar what that is.

Did you notice the phone keeps pulling the SEPmacaddress.xml.cnf file?  This means there is, at least ONE, XML tag i the SEPmacaddress.xml.cnf file that's incorrect.  With Cisco phones and 3rd party SIP, all the XML tags have to be correct or the phone won't work. 

Post the SEPmacaddress.xml.cnf file and we'll have a look.

I cannot upload .xml or word or .zip , how to send the file?

upload not accepted