cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

license MAC on publisher rebuild

mr_cisco_cisco
Level 1
Level 1

If you have a CUCM 10.5.2 publisher and rebuild it (with same IP address, DNS etc) does the license MAC change ie do you need to order new licenses?

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Hi,

just refer the link which says

License Rehost

Licenses are fulfilled to a specific Cisco Prime License Manger. If you require licenses to be moved to a new Cisco Prime License Manager, they will be need to be rehosted.

A rehost may be required if:

• A hardware failure occurred and new hardware is required for Cisco Prime License Manager
  • Multiple Cisco Prime License Managers are desired and a subset of fulfillment licenses need to be moved to a new Cisco Prime License Manager

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/voice_ip_comm/cucm/plm/10_5_1/userguide/CPLM_BK_UD1156AD_00_user-guide-rel-1051/CPLM_BK_UD1156AD_00_user-guide-rel-1051_chapter_011.html#CUCM_TK_L403A667_00

regds,

aman

View solution in original post

Then hard code the MAC address on your Pub/PLM virtual machine, you can simply hard code it to what it is set dynamically now, and the license will always remain the same.

View solution in original post

13 Replies 13

Terry Cheema
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

In CUCM 10.X licenses are managed from PLM.

If you have a built-in PLM along the CUCM you may need to rehost your licenses.

If you have stand-alone PLM server then you dont need to worry about that you may just need to delete and add the instance again.

-Terry

Please rate all helpful posts

In addition to great answer by Terry (+5), it is best practice to set the MAC address of the PLM virtual machine statically, so that it never changes if you for example move the virtual machine, and thus the licenses will remain active.

Hi,

just refer the link which says

License Rehost

Licenses are fulfilled to a specific Cisco Prime License Manger. If you require licenses to be moved to a new Cisco Prime License Manager, they will be need to be rehosted.

A rehost may be required if:

• A hardware failure occurred and new hardware is required for Cisco Prime License Manager
  • Multiple Cisco Prime License Managers are desired and a subset of fulfillment licenses need to be moved to a new Cisco Prime License Manager

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/voice_ip_comm/cucm/plm/10_5_1/userguide/CPLM_BK_UD1156AD_00_user-guide-rel-1051/CPLM_BK_UD1156AD_00_user-guide-rel-1051_chapter_011.html#CUCM_TK_L403A667_00

regds,

aman

Terry,

PLM and CUCM are co-resident in this case.

Then hard code the MAC address on your Pub/PLM virtual machine, you can simply hard code it to what it is set dynamically now, and the license will always remain the same.

How do you hard code a MAC address?

On the virtual machine go to Edit Settings, locate the Network Adapter, edit it and you will see the MAC address is grayed out and set to Dynamic. Select Static and leave the MAC as it is, and save.

Hello Chris, I have a similar issue. In my own case, I reinstalled the cucm publisher but with a different ip address. How can I move the fulfilment licenses to the new plm?

Which Mac address is to be hard coded? Is it PLM or PUB?. Or both?

I am assuming PLM is running on your Pub then?

If so, the quickest solution would be to hard code the MAC address of the virtual machine for what the old PLM/CUCM was. Otherwise you can contact licensing@cisco.com to have then re-host it for you.

Thanks Chris. In other words, I should put the Mac address of the old plm/cucm in the new plm/cucm.  Interesting!  I got the gist

Correct, as the PLM licensing is tied to the mac address of the virtual machine of the PLM server.

Yea. Let me use this medium to ask you questions on MCU, VCS and cucm. I know MCU handles more video conference calls. Can MCU be integrated directly to cucm using sip trunk without the VCS? If so, can it work fine and do u have a link for configuration guide?

Can vcs handle few video conference calls without MCU? If one does not have H. 323 end devices, is there any need for VCS? Because am thinking that the major role vcs  plays is to allow H. 323 devices to communicat with sip end devices and if conference call is needed MCU comes into play. So, if one does not have H. 323 devices, MCU can be linked directly to cucm. I don't know if am correct

Then there are two options; It seems preferable one is as per the nice tip shared by my friend Chris; you can try to hard code the mac address to your current dynamic value preserving the same and use that one while rebuilding the new server. Once you do a DRS restore, you may not need to rehost your licenses. I have tried this but it myself but I believe it should work fine.

Second option is to rebuild the server using the same credentials etc. but still you will need to rehost you license file - you can work it out with licensing@cisco.com.

Let us know how you go.

+5 Chris and Aman.

-Terry

Please rate all helpful posts

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: