cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

console cable connectivity test

Mary
Level 1
Level 1

we have one production switch 2960 running, I want to test connectivity of console cable

I plug my console cable to switch 2960 console port, the other side into my windows 7 network port(which i use to connect to switch normally), I then run putty ssh2 to my switch IP address, but it didn't find the ip. what's the reason, the same IP i can use if I use LAN to access switch.

the same console cable I plug into wireless access point console port, also it didn't work.

8 Replies 8

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

The console cable should not connect to your Ethernet port.  The console cable should connect to a USB port on your laptop ( by using a serial to USB converter). If your laptop has a DB9 connector on it than you can directly connect the console to DB9.  So, RJ45 connects to the switch and DB9 or USB connects to the laptop.

HTH 

connect to USB already, aslo not able to display switch,

can i use 2960 console to connect to router 1941?

If you connect it to your laptop using USB, make sure your laptop can actually see the com port for the USB by installing the driver for it. Click on start and than "devices and printer", you should see the console port com port if it is installed correctly. 

Yes, the console port works on both switches and routers.

HTH

which driver is it, can you provide the link? by the way, different cisco switch can use same console cable? thanks

Yes, pretty much all Cisco switches and routers use the same type of console cable.

As for the driver, that depends on your converter.  There are a lot different type of converters out there and each have different drivers. Just Google the name of the company for your USB port and you may find a driver for it. Some even come with a CD that has the driver on it.

how about 2960X, I see two ports mgmt and console, can I plug normal network cable into my laptop network port when it is running? when I type enable, does it auto-disconnect exsiting connections through lan?

what's the difference between i plug in mgmt port and console port?

the management port is used so you can have a dedicated management to free up the Gig ports.

it needs to be set up with an IP so best off to use the console cable to get started

Peter,

Chick this link, it will help..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7sM4f1_QloQ

Regards

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card