cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Static vs bgp

Raja_D
Level 1
Level 1

Does it make any difference in the application performance over the customer end , when the CE end router has got the mpls link with a static route pointing towards the PE end instead of bgp path ?

4 Replies 4

John Blakley
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

if they only have a single path out, it makes no difference if they have a single static default route vs a bgp learned default route. The bgp process in itself takes up memory to run on the router, so having just a static route advertised may be overkill to run bgp for. If they have multipaths out, it may make sense depending on what your customer is needing to do....

HTH,

John

HTH, John *** Please rate all useful posts ***

The original poster has asked a pretty broad question about performance without supplying any specifics about the issue or the environment. But I absolutely do agree with John that when there is only a single path out then it makes no difference how that route was learned (static vs BGP makes no difference).

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

Disclaimer

The Author of this posting offers the information contained within this posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose. Information provided is for informational purposes only and should not be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind. Usage of this posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In no event shall Author be liable for any damages whatsoever (including, without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit) arising out of the use or inability to use the posting's information even if Author has been advised of the possibility of such damage.

Posting

One difference between having a static route vs. a dynamically learned route, the latter adds additional processing overhead.  Normally this isn't much of an issue, but, for example, I have seen the BGP scanner process load up the CPU on smaller routers when dealing with full Internet route tables.

I interpreted the original question to be about the behavior in forwarding traffic and whether there is a difference between static routes and dynamically learned BGP routers. And in that context I continue to agree with John that there is no difference when there is a single path. But Joseph does make an interesting point that if you take a broader view and include the effort to learn and maintain the route then there is some performance cost in learning dynamic protocol routes as compared to static routes.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick
Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card