Views
Helpful
Replies

Failover with static routing without IP SLA

Yangjp715
Level 2
Level 2

Hi All,

We currently have 3 sites connected via wireless link. We've just gotten our L3 MPLS network installed and want to keep current wireless link as backup.

We have 1 Cisco 3750x in mail office and 2 Cisco 2960s in other two branches, all of switches are based on IP base. 

I'm planing to use floating route, because IP base doesn't support IP SLA, but the failover doesn't work if the far end port is down. it only works when the directly connected port is down. It cannot monitor the entire link.

e.g. in 2960s

ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 1.1.1.1 100(point to 3750 via wireless)

ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 2.2.2.2 (point to Telco CE router)

Is there anybody who have experience for failover with static routing?

Thanks,

Eric

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

re if one of device or ports in Telco is down, does failover work? Yes because you loose the dynamic route in that part of the network.

and change the backup static to 200 as you said if you are using RIP

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Are you able to use a routing protocol on your MPLS network? what  routing protocol does your Telco support? then normal dynamic routing for your main link with the static backup only coming into play if the MPLS goes down. By the way what is the wireless connection?

regards

Richard.

Thanks for reply, Richard.

I will ask Telco tomorrow to confirm if they support dynamic routing over MPLS. If so, IP base only support RIP, because the default AD of RIP route is 120, so i can change AD value of static route to 200 to meet the requirement, is it right? I'm just wondering if one of devices or ports in Telco is down, does failover work?

About wireless link, we configured SVIs on switches, there is trunk between 3750 and 2960.

e.g. on 3750:

interface vlan 2

ip address 192.168.1.254/24

interface vlan 200

ip address 192.168.200.254

on 2960:

interface vlan 2

ip address 192.168.1.253/24

interface vlan 200

ip address 192.168.200.253/24

ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 192.168.1.254

Thanks again.

re if one of device or ports in Telco is down, does failover work? Yes because you loose the dynamic route in that part of the network.

and change the backup static to 200 as you said if you are using RIP

Thanks, Richard. About backup link,  As i posted above, it is a layer2 network. I use SVIs between branch and main office. Is that ok?

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card