Views
Helpful
Replies

Hard code prefix while dialing through IP Phone

S N
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

Need your help. We have more than 1000 Cisco IP Phones and it has been segregated based on teams.

For example, Sales team uses 200 phones , Customer service team users 400 phones , Management people uses 15 phones etc.

The challenge is we need to hard code a prefix to their phone so that when the people start dialing the number the next hop should receive the Prefix and the number.

Based on prefix and the number , we will create different route pattern with different CLI.

For eg, if the person from Sales team dials a number , the phone should automatically add a prefix 1111 and in the route pattern matching the prefix a unique CLI is given for that call. So the destination person misses the call they can dial to that CLI number.

Is this possible to add a prefix automatically to a phone.

Please let me know your thoughts and ideas

Thanks

Sathya

7 Replies 7

Anthony Holloway
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

It sounds like you don't know about the External Phone Number Mask field on the Line Appearances?

Do this, find a phone in CUCM, then click on it.  Now click on one of the lines on the left.  Now scroll down until you see the field labeled external phone number mask.  If you populate this field with a CLID, it will automatically show up, provided you have checked the box on your Route Pattern to use External Phone Number Masks.

Hi Anthony,

Thanks. but my requirement is different. Sorry if I didn't mentioned it before.

External phone number mask is for ANI. Actually I need the prefix to be sent with dialed number.

For eg., Prefix is 1234 and the called number is 1405808398 and next the RP will check the pattern 1234.! and discard the predot and send only the number to the outbound.

If sales team uses 200 phones they will have the same ANI and that I will put it in the RP before sending calls outside.

The reason for doing this is we need to bill the calls based on the prefix the customer uses to dial the outbound call.

Please suggest.

Thanks

Sathya

I'm sorry, but I still don't know what you are trying to achieve.

It now sounds like you are talking about Client Matter Codes (CMC) in CUCM.

Is that what you need?  A prefix for billing purposes?

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/voice_ip_comm/cucm/admin/10_0_1/ccmfeat/CUCM_BK_F3AC1C0F_00_cucm-features-services-guide-100/CUCM_BK_F3AC1C0F_00_cucm-features-services-guide-100_chapter_010000.html

Hi Anthony,

Sorry for the confusion.

We have 50 phones , 20 phones are used by team A , 20 phones are used by team B , 10 phones are used by Team C.

Team A ( 20 phones ) has the same ANI for eg 111111

Team B ( 20 Phones ) has the same ANI for eg 222222

Team C ( 10 phones ) has the same ANI for eg 333333

Now, For calling outbound , each team has to use a unique prefix for eg

team A : 11

team b : 22

team c: 33

When team A member calls outbound the prefix should be added before the called number and sent to asterisk. In Asterisk , based on the prefix the call is billed.

So my question is , the end user instead of dialing prefix before the dialing number , can the prefix added automatically before the dialing number so that prefix + dialed number can be sent to asterisk.

Or please suggest is there any other way to achieve.

Thanks

Sathya

Ok, I think I've finally got it.

Point 1:  You want all three teams to dial the same way.

Point 2:  You want to prefix the dialed number after the team member dials from the keypad.

Point 3:  You want to send the prefixed number to Asterisk

One Possible Solution

Create new Route Patterns, Partitions and Calling Search Spaces for each team, in order to separate the dial plan per team, and apply your digit manipulation per team.

Example:

Team A Phone calls 916125551212

Team A Phone has CSS Team_A_PSTN_CSS

Team_A_PSTN_CSS has Partition Team_A_PSTN_PT

Route Pattern 91[2-9]XX[2-9]XXXXXX is in Team_A_PSTN_PT, and has Prefix Digit Manipulation on Called Number as 11, and uses Route List PSTN_RL

PSTN_RL is shared by all teams, and has Route Group PSTN_RG

PSTN_RG has SIP Trunk to Asterisk

Hi Anthony,

Thanks. 

Still need few more things.

If I have 500 phones I cannot go this way by creating and assigning CSS for each department phones ( But I can use bulk edit )

Is there a option to check based on extension number or number mask then add prefix and CLI and sent it to Asterisk.

Sorry if made something wrong , but I need to know more options

Thanks

Sathya

BAT is pretty powerful, but you also have AXL too, which is way more powerful for modifying the configuration.

Also, there is usually more than one way to solve a challenge like this.

For example, you could write a Lua script, and upload it to CUCM as a SIP Normalization Script, apply it to your Asterisk SIP Trunk, and have the code dynamically re-write the SIP request URI based on the From header.