cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

EIGRP redistribute static issue

Adam Hudson
Level 1
Level 1

I have an EIGRP issue hopefully someone can help me with. I have a 2821 router with three static routes to VLANs that exist on a switch it's connected to. I want to share these routes with the rest of my network. I thought a "redistribute static" command would do this, but it does not.

I can run a "show ip eigrp topology <network> <network mask>" on the router and other equipment in the eigrp network and the network information comes up, but I can't ping any of the VLANs from anything but the router. My EIGRP statement also includes "no auto-summary" but that does not help either. Below is the results of the "show ip eigrp topology" command.

router#sh ip eigrp XXX top 10.X.47.0 255.255.255.0
IP-EIGRP (AS XXX): Topology entry for 10.X.47.0/24
  State is Passive, Query origin flag is 1, 1 Successor(s), FD is 28160
  Routing Descriptor Blocks:
  10.X.0.15, from Rstatic, Send flag is 0x0
      Composite metric is (28160/0), Route is External
      Vector metric:
        Minimum bandwidth is 100000 Kbit
        Total delay is 100 microseconds
        Reliability is 255/255
        Load is 1/255
        Minimum MTU is 1500
        Hop count is 0
      External data:
        Originating router is 10.X.X.3 (this system)
        AS number of route is 0
        External protocol is Static, external metric is 0
        Administrator tag is 0 (0x00000000)

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

You need a network entry on both devices for the IP subnet that they connect on.

So if that is the IP subnet that they have in common and how they connect yes you need entries on both.

Jon

View solution in original post

15 Replies 15

Hello,

Make sure those static routes are placed in 2821 routing table. Does your switch has default gateway or route to 2821 to return the packets?

"Show IP route"

Masoud, the switch's default gateway is the router and the static routes do show up when I run the "sh ip route" command.

I did notice when I run the "sh ip eigrp topology" command that the route shows up as 'external' not sure if this has any relevance.

can you check if there are no distribute list that can filter the routes going out of the 2821 or being recieved by other network devices?

i think a cleaned up config can help a lot

Adam

You seem to be saying the routes are there on other devices in the topology table.

Are they in the routing tables ?

If so your problem is not with EIGRP.

Jon

Sorry John. My answer is the same as yours. I saw your answer after I posted.

Hi Masoud

No problem, it happens to all of us and at least we were saying the same thing :-)

Jon

it is correct because redistribution marks routes as external. Did you check routing table of other devices. You might have received that route on other devices and had another problem to reach your switch.

rgodden
Level 3
Level 3

can you post the topology of the router that isnt redistributing static, what other protocols have you go ie anycast .

Adam Hudson
Level 1
Level 1

Thanks for everybody's replies so far. After assessing the situation further, it looks like the switch the router is attached to (3750-X) should be able to do full EIGRP. I've added an EIGRP statement to the switch, matched the EIGRP numbers, and the switch and router can ping each other, yet they won't become neighbors.

I've run through the "neighbor check" section on the support document below and I'm at the "your problem is not a common problem" block.

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/ip/enhanced-interior-gateway-routing-protocol-eigrp/21324-trouble-eigrp.html#nc

Any help is appreciated.

If the vlans are on the switch why are you trying to redistribute static.

Can you please explain exactly what you are trying to do and provide configs and then we may be able to help you.

Jon

Jon, I apologize for not clearing it up more. I didn't think my switch could do full EIGRP so I thought I could set those VLANs as static routes to the local router, then redistribute those to the rest of my network. Since that didn't work I did some more research and found out I could do full EIGRP on the switch.

Since I could, my plan was to advertise those subnet/VLANs through EIGRP on the switch to the rest of the network.

Okay, I understand now, thanks for clarifying.

That redistribute static plan should have worked although I understand you now want to run EIGRP between the devices which makes more sense.

The fact it isn't working may be part of the same issue.

How is the switch connected to the router ie. using a L3 P2P link or a vlan and an SVI on the switch ?

Either way have you included the a network statement for the actual IP subnet used to connect the devices under the EIGRP configuration on both of them ?

Otherwise could you post the relevant parts of the configurations.

Jon

They're connected by a VLAN and SVI on the switch.

Your second question, are you saying I need both the router and the switch advertising the same network over EIGRP? For example, say my network was 11.1.1.0/24. Would I need a line in the 'router eigrp <number>' section that says 'network 11.1.1.0 0.0.0.255'?

You need a network entry on both devices for the IP subnet that they connect on.

So if that is the IP subnet that they have in common and how they connect yes you need entries on both.

Jon

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: