Views
Helpful
Replies

Dual ISP Connections using redundant routers

jaymis451
Level 1
Level 1

Hi ,

I have two ISPs , each connecting to a Cisco 3900 router. One router for purely Internet/VPN site to site GRE traffic and other CE router that has MPLS which will also have VPN site to site GRE tunnels between two sites. Hub and Spoke setup, Site A (hub) and Site B (spoke). The routers are connected on the LAN side using G0/1 for HSRP via inbuilt ether switches. EIGRP will be used for routing. 

I want to be able to route Internet traffic via the Internet router and send rest via MPLS. MPLS being the preferred router for intersite traffic. As I will have GRE VPN tunnels site A to site B via MPLS and Internet I want to be able load balacing and perform failover between the two routers.

Internally all networks are using 10.0.0.0 private addressing.

What do I need to configure on both routers to accomplish this ?

Is it just a case of adding a static route on both to route all traffic to the Internet Router and another static route for forcing 10 network to go via MPLS?

3 Replies 3

Peter Marshall
Level 1
Level 1

This post addresses the dual ISP & routing:

https://supportforums.cisco.com/document/13576/how-configure-gre-tunnel

This post addresses the load balancing:

https://supportforums.cisco.com/discussion/11354131/load-balancing-internet-and-site-site-vpns-across-multiple-isp

If neither post has the solution you're looking for, post a diagram & configuration. I'm still trying to wrap my head around this: "The routers are connected on the LAN side using G0/1 for HSRP via inbuilt ether switches."

HTH

Hi,

I don't have any issues with configuring GRE VPN over MPLS or Internet routers , the problem is just the routing aspect with eigrp and how to route Internet traffic via Internet router and load balance VPN traffic via MPLS and Internet router.  MPLS being preferred route.  Intersite and VPN traffic on 10.0.0.0 network.  

Hello

Can you post a topology of this - it woul make a much clearer picture of what you wish to accomplish.

res

Paul

Please rate and mark as an accepted solution if you have found any of the information provided useful.
This then could assist others on these forums to find a valuable answer and broadens the community’s global network.

Kind Regards
Paul
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: