Views
Helpful
Replies

SGE2010P connect Cable Modem to layer3 switch

Steffen Walter
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

i'd like to connect a cable modem to my SGE2010P Layer 3 Switch to allow internet access to my vlans (10 and 20).

At the moment the cable modem is connected at Port g20 which is untagged member of vlan 10.

Which configuration do i have to do to route all internet traffic to the cable modem on port g20?

Thanks in advance,

Steffen

3 Replies 3

Brandon Svec
Level 7
Level 7

Maybe possible.

If your switch is in layer 3 mode then make a default route to the cable modem IP (maybe you already have that since VLAN 10 works).  

Then in the cable modem you have to find a way to make a return route back to VLAN20 via the VLAN interface IP of VLAN 10.  

-- please remember to rate and mark answered helpful posts --

devils_advocate
Level 7
Level 7

Assuming it is a Cable Modem and not a Cable Router then no, its unlikely this will work.

The SGE2010P switch is not capable of NAT as far as I am aware so you will need a Router between the Cable Modem and the Switch.

Cable Modems tend to be just that, a Modem which terminates the Internet line and provides an RJ45 ethernet connection but they are generally not routers so they don't do NAT or any routing.

It does depend on the model but I suspect you may need a Router also.

Thanks

True.  I was assuming VLAN 10 was working (but that is not clear) and if so, then it indicated he had an integrated modem/router doing NAT, etc. already.

Anyhow, I guess we wait for the OP to see what he has to say :)

-- please remember to rate and mark answered helpful posts --