cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

VPDM in NIM module

bkhanal1971
Level 3
Level 3

I have a 4331 router with PVDM4-128. I will be using this router for CME. I also have a NIM module with 1 port T1/E1. I will be terminating E1 PRI circuit in this card.

After reading this link

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/routers/4000-series-integrated-services-routers/118792-config-isr-00.html

, I have the impression that I also need to have the PVDM installed in the NIM module in order to configure this port for voice circuit termination. Can somebody confirm whether the PVDM in the card is the must?

Thanks, Khanal

16 Replies 16

Rob Huffman
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi Khanal,

You should be fine using the the PVDM4-128 installed on the motherboard (not NIM module) as shown in a clip from the config guide you linked;

"The Cisco PVDM4 is installed on a slot on the motherboard or on a Cisco Fourth-Generation T1/E1 Voice and WAN Network Interface Module."

Cheers!

Rob

Thank you so much Rob. It is very helpful.

Thanks, Badri

I ran into the following error while configuring the port. Does it mean I must have the PVDM in the card rather than in the board?

ISR4331RTR(config-controller)#pri-group timeslots 1-31
E1 0/1/0: No voice port or DSP resource for voice feature
E1 0/1/0: For MFT T1E1 modules, pri-group has to have DSP (PVDM4) modules installed.
E1 0/1/0: Please check if DSP module is plugged in before configuring pri-group!
E1 0/1/0: This pri-group configuration is REJECTED!
%No configuration will be applied

Thanks, Khanal

Hi,

It seems that u have plugged PVDM4 card on motherboard.You need to plug on to NIM daughter card for E1/T1 connectivity.

can u share show inventory or show diag from router?

link says

The motherboard PVDMs are supported on all Cisco 4000 Series ISRs. They can be plugged directly into the single slot on the router motherboard or into the network interface module (NIM) that supports T1/E1 ports. A PVDM4 module plugged into the motherboard delivers IP-based voice services such as conferencing, media optimization, and transcoding only.

A PVDM4 module plugged into the T1/E1 NIM would be used for voice T1/E1 connectivity. Any excess channels can be reused toward other IP-based services supported on the motherboard slot. Enhanced DSP architecture accommodates a new packet-processing engine optimized for rich-media voice applications, while concurrently supporting the TDM-IP voice framework.

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/collateral/routers/4000-series-integrated-services-routers-isr/data_sheet_c78-728307.html

regds,

aman

Thank you Aman for responding. I will need the PVDM in the motherboard as well as I will need it for transcoding and conferencing. You and Rob made it clear to me now that I will need the PVDM in the NIM module so I will go ahead and order one.

Thank you.

Khanal

Rob Huffman
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi Khanal,

I'm sorry for the bad info from my end, you are 100% correct.

When you try to configure voice PRI on ISR G4, this error appears:

==================
T1 0/1/0: No DSP resources to configure voice feature
==================

Solution

There is only one PVDM slot on the motherboard. The Time Division Multiplexing (TDM) cards can not use the motherboard PVDMs. Dependent upon the number of channels required, the appropriate DSP module is installed on the NIM. For IP services such as to transcode and conference, the PVDM4 DSP module can be installed on the motherboard of the ISR 4000 Series platform.

If the show inventory output shows this information, it signifies that the PVDM card is installed on the motherboard.

NAME: "PVDM subslot 0/4", DESCR: "PVDM4-32 Voice DSP Module"
PID: PVDM4-32          , VID: V02, SN: FOC18334AVD

Once the PVDM card is placed on the NIM, the show inventory command indicates:

NAME: "subslot 0/1 db module 0", DESCR: "PVDM4-128 Voice DSP Module"
PID: PVDM4-128         , VID: V01, SN: FOC17176BLL

Hi Aman,

Looks like we were posting up @the same time my friend! +5 for your great tips as always. Hope all is well with you :)

Cheers!

Rob

All is well.

[+5] to you for sharing more info.

regds,

aman

Hello,

What happens if I move the PVDM4-128 from motherboard to T1/E1 NIM module?

Would I still be able to use for transcoder, etc? I just want to make sure as long as I'm going to use T1/E1 I must add a new PVDM on NIM module.

Thank you!

Hello All! 

I am running into the same predicament, I was reading through this blog and unfortunately still a bit unclear.  I was wondering if someone can help me out and clear things up for me.

As Gustavo was asking, will (2) PVDM modules be needed in order to have both a T1/E1 and for Trancoding/Conferencing?  

We previously moved the PVDM4-128 from the motherboard to NIM, because i was unable to configure the T1 was receiving 

No DSP resources to configure voice feature

Would I still be able to use that same PVDM install on the NIM for Transcoder/Conferening etc? I'm trying to figure out if we will need to purchase another PVDM module to install on the motherboard?  In order to perform Transcoding/Conference.

Thanks in advance!

-Diana

Hi Diana,

NIM card needs PVDM4 to terminate TDM circuit, however any unused channels can be used for transcoding and conference.

Motherboard PVDM and extended service module PVDM can also be used for transcoding and conference, but not for TDM.

- Vivek

Hi Vivek,

Thanks for the fast reply!!  I appreciate it.  When trying to configure the dspfarm profile for Transcoding and conferencing, I came across an error.  

Unfortunately, I don't recall the error output, however I will revisit that DSP profile error and post it shortly.   Do you know if there is something specifically needed configuration wise?  

Thank you,

-Diana

Hello, 

I have the same problem please see below:

E1 0/1/0: No DSP resources to configure voice feature
%No configuration will be applied

but when I go to show inventory it shows me the below

NAME: "Chassis", DESCR: "Cisco ISR4321 Chassis"
PID: ISR4321/K9 , VID: V04, SN: FDO2141A0P8

NAME: "Power Supply Module 0", DESCR: "110W AC Power Supply for Cisco ISR 4320"
PID: PWR-4320-AC , VID: , SN:

NAME: "Fan Tray", DESCR: "Cisco ISR4320 Fan Assembly"
PID: ACS-4320-FANASSY , VID: , SN:

NAME: "module 0", DESCR: "Cisco ISR4321 Built-In NIM controller"
PID: ISR4321/K9 , VID: , SN:

NAME: "NIM subslot 0/1", DESCR: "NIM-1CE1T1-PRI - T1/E1 Serial Module"
PID: NIM-1CE1T1-PRI , VID: V04, SN: FOC22054J7V

NAME: "PVDM subslot 0/4", DESCR: "PVDM4-32 Voice DSP Module"
PID: PVDM4-32 , VID: V02, SN: FOC21374RYF

NAME: "NIM subslot 0/0", DESCR: "Front Panel 2 ports Gigabitethernet Module"
PID: ISR4321-2x1GE , VID: V01, SN: JAB092709EL

NAME: "module R0", DESCR: "Cisco ISR4321 Route Processor"
PID: ISR4321/K9 , VID: V04, SN: FDO213720SJ

NAME: "module F0", DESCR: "Cisco ISR4321 Forwarding Processor"
PID: ISR4321/K9 , VID: , SN:

Please help

Thank you,

The PVDM card needs to be on the NIM card itself and not on the chassis. There is no concept for TDM pooling with ISR-4k. The mobo PVDM's cannot be used for TDM termination.
Open up the chassis, unscrew the PVDM from the chassis and screw it on the NIM card itself and you should be good.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: