Views
Helpful
Replies

QoS

Shane Tominey
Level 1
Level 1

Hi All,

Reviewing a client QoS configuration...this policy-map is bound to a 1Gbit interface which neg to 100Mbits, the WAN service is 20Mbits..

policy-map PM-SHAPE-QUEUE-OUT
class CM-SHAPE-QUEUE-OUT
shape average 20000000 10000000 100000

Forgive me Im still very new to QoS and all the workings :)

Getting alot of dropped traffic with the above policy.

This above configuration dosn't look correct to me, I understand CIR being the 20Mbit, 10Mbit being the bc and 100k be.

Is this telling me for each time interval a 10Mbit token bucket is available? Seems a bit large? Is there a way to I find out the Time Interval which is being used by the policy? What would be recommended in the above case?

Thoughts/Recommendations?

Thanks for your help in advance.

1 Reply 1

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Disclaimer

The Author of this posting offers the information contained within this posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose. Information provided is for informational purposes only and should not be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind. Usage of this posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In no event shall Author be liable for any damages wha2tsoever (including, without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit) arising out of the use or inability to use the posting's information even if Author has been advised of the possibility of such damage.

Posting

Bc and Be parameters should be bits, not bps.

Is there a way to I find out the Time Interval which is being used by the policy?

Sometimes it's shown, but given CIR and Bc, Tc = Bc / CIR

What would be recommended in the above case?

Insufficient information about the cause of the drops and/or your service requirements.

Shapers, like interfaces, if overdriven will drop packets.  And/or, one or more of your queues are insufficient sized for the BDP of a 20 Mbps WAN link.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card