Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Configure password for "configure terminal" access

Hello,

I know how to configure a password when a user try to connect on the router locally, the "enable password".

R1(config)#enable password mypassword

But I can't figure out how to do the same when a user want to configure the router..

Can you help me ?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Peter Paluch
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Antoine,

There is no easy way of protecting the configure terminal command with a password. The basic Cisco command line only allows you to protect the router when logging in (accessing the command line), and when using the enable command to become a user with elevated privileges.

There are certain mechanisms using a centralized server or an approach called "views" that could be used to protect the access to the configure terminal command with additional authentication/authorization, but both of them are complex to set up and maintain. For the sake of simplicity, it is safe to assume that protecting the configure terminal command with an extra password is not possible.

Best regards,
Peter

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

Peter Paluch
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Antoine,

There is no easy way of protecting the configure terminal command with a password. The basic Cisco command line only allows you to protect the router when logging in (accessing the command line), and when using the enable command to become a user with elevated privileges.

There are certain mechanisms using a centralized server or an approach called "views" that could be used to protect the access to the configure terminal command with additional authentication/authorization, but both of them are complex to set up and maintain. For the sake of simplicity, it is safe to assume that protecting the configure terminal command with an extra password is not possible.

Best regards,
Peter

Hello,

If I understood correctly, you are asking about configuration by telnet or SSH as opposed to console.

For Telnet,

Config terminal

line vty 0 15

password  mypassword

login

Telnet is not secure so you should use SSH.

Config terminal

username cisco secret cisco [use your own user and password]

Ip domain-name cisco

Ip ssh version 2

crypto key generate RSA

line vty 0 15

login local

service-password encryption  ( just protects password from over shoulder look)

Remember to config enable password

The configuration above was just a basic config for telnet and SSH connectivity.

As Peter mentioned, using centerized server gives you much better protection.

Hope it helps,

Masoud

Sorry I was just asking how to check user with a password when he tries to go in configure mode :

R1#conf t

(ask for a password)

R1(config)#

Sorry if I wasn't meaningful.

elnekramer
Level 1
Level 1

Hi

The command R1(config)#enable password mypassword is the correct global configuration command for configuring a password for enable or configuration mode.

You can also use R1(config)#enable secret mypassword   as this will encrypt the password.

To add password for connecting (tellnetting or ssh) to vty, you use

R1config t

R1(config)#line vty 0 4

R1(config-line)#password mypassword

in line configuration mode

and for the console password:

R1config t

R1(config)#line con 0

R1(config-line)#password mypassword

Hope this helps

Sorry I was just asking how to check user with a password when he tries to go in configure mode :

R1#conf t

(ask for a password)

R1(config)#

Sorry if I wasn't meaningful.

Hi Antoine,

I was just asking how to check user with a password when he tries to go in configure mode

Unfortunately, this is not supported on Cisco IOS-based devices.

Best regards,
Peter

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card