Views
Helpful
Replies

Looking for a MCU with a special need

mehdi.taminn1
Level 1
Level 1

Hi everyone,

I work for an organization. Recently they have bought about 60 Cisco SX20 and a MCU 5320 with 8x4 licenses for a video conference system. It means that 32 units can join to a conference at a same time. But unfortunately MCU 5320, has limited layout options which at most can only show 20 units on a conference display. For them it is very important to be able to observe all the 32 connected units at the same time on the same display. Obviously there's no solution for this with a MCU 5320, so they're looking for another MCU with this capability. Does anyone know a MCU model which can support this? If so, please respond. I would appreciate your help.

Thanks alot.

5 Replies 5

Stack of two MCU 5320s
(both with maximum numbers of port licenses )

40 x 720p30 HD ports

20 x 1080p30 or 720p60 Full HD ports

80 x w448p30 SD ports

96 x w360p30 nHD ports

None

None

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/collateral/conferencing/telepresence-mcu-5300-series/datasheet-c78-716095.html

Thanks

Sam

Hi mehdi

Cisco MCU support only 5x4=20 participant on screen. You can activate rotation for some selected layouts.

PS. Cisco TelePresence Server - 16 participant, Avaya Radvision - 26 participant...

Learn to use minimal layout. This better for videoconferencing.

br Oleksandr

Patrick Sparkman
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

What Sam has provided, the possibility of stacking MCUs won't help in this case.  Yes, you can increase the capacity by stacking MCUs, however that doesn't affect or increase the number of endpoints that can be seen in a selected layout, as the number of endpoints visible within a layout are fixed.

As Oleksandr has mentioned, at the most you'll get on screen at any one time is using an MCU with a 5x4 layout that will show you 20 endpoints at once.  There is no Cisco MCU or Telepresence Server that is capable of showing the number of endpoints you want at the same time on the screen, and I highly doubt there is any such conferencing bridge out there can or would even show that many at once.

While, as others have said, this seems like a terrible user experience and I would advise against it (there's a reason Cisco changed to the "Active Presence" layout by default), the only way I could see you achieving anything close to what you are after is through cascading.

As an example, if you had four seperate conferences of up to 19 participants (spread over any combination of MCUs), showing a combined total of up to 76 participants between them.

You then start a 5th conference, using a 4-way split layout.  From this 5th conference, dial out to all four remaining conferences.

This means that anyone who dialled into the 5th conference could theoretically have up to 76 participants on their screen, however those other participants who are dialled into one of the original 4 conferences won't be able to see everyone else properly.

Lawrence James
Level 1
Level 1

your requirement is not that unusual but you are possibly looking at the wrong solution options. Your are looking more for realtime presence at multiple locations not unlike a operations center looking at dozens of camera feeds. I assume you need the functionality of MCU to allow 2 way converstaion otherwise you wouldnt need the capabilityies of a MCU.

The size of your display will determine the layout and individual window size.

Now if you can give me some more info I can help sterr you in the right direction

- Do you need two way comms from each site? if not all then how many? How active are the other participants? Do they need the ability to cut in ah hoc or will they be called on to answer or is main talker selected by a moderator/director?

- Is Content/Presentations from other sources required? with sound? 2-Way?

-  How dispersided are the particiapants and over what medium?

- How big is the display or displays? Video wall?

- How many sites will need to display all 32 sites at one time? Will all sites be active? How many open active talkers do you want to allow at one time?

So many more but this will help get us started.