cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Managing Cisco IP Communicator and Licensing

Jason Amick
Level 1
Level 1

I just started a working with a company and they numerous CIPC devices configured in CUCM but I would say roughly 80% of them show as unknown/unknown.  The issue I am having is we are using UCL licensing and each one setup whether it is used or not is using an enhanced license.  I see some of them as "unregistered" and that would make me believe that it is still an active install and being used.  From my understanding is if a phone/CIPC device registers to CUCM and then unregisters it will stay in the unregistered state until either it registers again or after a CUCM cluster reboot and then it will then go to an unknow/unknown state.  My problem is I dont know if these devices were installed on a laptop one day and then the user no longer has that same laptop or it was replaced which would mean the device is CUCM is no longer needed.  So i guess the ultimate question is how are other engineers out there handling the management piece of IP communicators?  Thanks!!

2 Replies 2

Jaime Valencia
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Correct, I believe it's about 48-72 hours before they go from un-registered to unknow, but yes, if they show as un-registered, they were used recently. That should give you a timeframe on which you'll know they actually registered it, I would assume they did so, to place a call, you can search CDR for that to confirm they're actually using it.

You can also use CDR for those devices you don't know if they're using, if you can't find calls from them, you might remove them.

HTH

java

if this helps, please rate

Jaime:

Thanks, yes I see its also based on this service parameter "RIS Unused Cisco CallManager Device Store Period" which would be the default of 3 days in my case.  Just as a test I registered a phone and will keep it disconnected and see if the status changes after 3 days.  Either way i dont think its viable for me to delete the CIPC device if it hasnt been used in 3 days as it would have to be a longer duration.  I was hoping to find an easier way to know for sure but it looks like I may just have to start removing all devices in the unknown/unknown state to start fresh and then configure the ones needed as the users notify us.