Views
Helpful
Replies

Can't get USB console access working for IR829GW

Nicolas MATHEY
Level 1
Level 1

Hi there,

We just received our Industrial Router IR829 but cant console access it.

We tried with Cisco USB driver 3.1 which work with all other Cisco devices, but once we connect IR829 we got following device name in warning (aka driver not installed/compatible): Enhanced Com Port and Standard Com Port.

We tried forcing the use of Cisco Serial driver, but still doesn't work.

Is there any updated driver version available for such recent industrial Hardware?

Thanks,

Nicolas.

4 Replies 4

jjkl
Level 1
Level 1

Please try this. I just install today and work for me.

https://www.silabs.com/products/mcu/Pages/USBtoUARTBridgeVCPDrivers.aspx

Great... It works:)

kkong
Level 4
Level 4
I have this problem, try using new driver per recommendation on this site: https://www.silabs.com/products/development-tools/software/usb-to-uart-bridge-vcp-drivers
Still does not work!!! IR829 has Amber blinking light on Power LED. Connection seems find on ethernet, but since it is not programmed, no access via IP ethernet port. Need to get into this router....Don't know what is wrong with mini USB, my driver works with other Cisco Switches...

The key to the console is not to get fooled by having it working with 3850 mini USB Com port, the IR829 driver actually will assign another port, maybe the next in sequence, for me 3850 miniUSB was on Com10, and IR829 assigned Com11. I am using SecureCRT, finally got it working. Also make sure you go into Windows device manager and "Uninstall" all the current active drivers under Ports (COM & LPT). Download the Slicon Lab driver, make sure you install under administrator, make sure you are connected to your IR829 mini USB console port, completed the driver update. You should have console to your 3850 via one COM port then IR829 on another COM port. Once you have access the console, you should see the COM port(s) driver listed under the Device Manager (COM & LPT) again. I am using laptop USB and Windows7 64 bits connects to mini USB on IR829 running OS IR800 OS v15.7(3). The power led is blinking amber,  Network ports and Cellular port green led, and, now I have access to console via mini USB.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: