cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Reset Cisco Jabber fails to reset Jabber

acgarcia
Level 4
Level 4

Reset Cisco Jabber fails to reset Jabber.  Jabber appears to be resetting and then comes back and has the same user name already in the username box.  This is happening with two PCs now.  One is Windows 10 and one is Windows 7.  Uninstall nor deleting CSF folder seems to work.  Is there something that could be stuck in Windows registry?

23 Replies 23

Md Hasan
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

This is most likely cause by Jabber's default UPN discovery. Please install jabber from command line with UPN disabled.

msiexec.exe /i CiscoJabberSetup.msi UPN_DISCOVERY_ENABLED = false

Hi,

installation via cli did not solve the issue. We are using WIN7 here. Issue occurs with Jabber 10.6.6 and 11.8.

Need to delete the registry keys in order to have a clean Jabber.

Does anyone have these information ?

Regards

Jens

Hi Jens,

Did you ever resolve this issue? A customer of ours is having a similar issue now. They reset but the username is still present and they are unable to change any advanced settings.

Regards

Oli

Jens,

Did you get a solution to this problem? I have the same issue.

Thanks

RB

Anyone care to update this thread?  Anyone find a resolution to this issue?  Why does it seem that every Cisco product is endlessly buggy?

Hi,

sorry for the late reply.

This works for me here:

Deletion of the file: jabber-bootstrap.properties

Path: "%programdata%\Cisco Systems\Cisco Jabber"

Deletion of all folders and files here:

"%LocalAppData%\Cisco\Unified Communications\Jabber"

"%AppData%\Cisco\Unified Communications\Jabber\CSF\Config"

"%programdata%\Cisco Systems\Cisco Jabber"

Jens

MDs suggestion resolved the issue for me.

msiexec.exe /i CiscoJabberSetup.msi CLEAR=1 UPN_DISCOVERY_ENABLED=false TFTP_FILE_NAME=jabber-config-chat-only.xml

Note:

1. Remove the spaces in MD's command between UPN_DISCOVERY_ENABLED = false  - it should be 

UPN_DISCOVERY_ENABLED=false

2.  The username was still present UNTIL I reset Jabber one final time.  Resetting it WITHOUT using MD's UPN switch would NEVER delete the username.

3. I'm mapping my Jabber Chat Only configuration to the file name "jabber-config-chat-only.xml which is shown here:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
<config version="1.0">
<Options>
<Start_Client_On_Start_OS>true</Start_Client_On_Start_OS>
<STARTUP_AUTHENTICATION_REQUIRED>True</STARTUP_AUTHENTICATION_REQUIRED>
</Options>
<Policies>
<Telephony_Enabled>false</Telephony_Enabled>
</Policies>
</config>

With that set of switches, I disable telephony  (this is a chat only deployment), I configure the client to auto-start, BUT most importantly, I prevent the password from being cached forcing the end user to manually enter the password to authenticate.

We sync CUCM to AD every 8 hours. When an AD user passes the 60 day password reset policy, they use Ctl-Alt-Delete and modify their AD password for security compliance purposes. They are then able to login to their PC on the network and Jabber auto-launches with cached credentials (old password).

At this point - AD has their NEW password and CUCM still contains their OLD password because the sync interval is 8 hours. Because their username and password are hard-coded into Jabber, what I've found is often users forget to modify their Jabber password and Jabber will continue to authenticate successfully against CUCM because it contains their OLD password until the 8 hour sync interval has expired. Once AD - CUCM sync has occurred, their Jabber account locks out their AD credential because the CUCM db has their NEW password but they have not modified the previously cached password in their Jabber client.

That solve the issue for a while but when I reboot my pc same massage appears again server not found and unable to reset it either.

Can anyone from Cisco reply to this post? Our customer is also having same issue on Jabber 11.8.5 and CUCM 11.5

Hi there

Is it your issue hitting this below bug. If then I can’t find a fix version unfortunately. Could you try upgrading to 12.x latest version and give a shot

When Jabber reset and sign in after sign out takes long time in Windows 10
CSCve97737
Description
Symptom:
Description:when user sign in and sing out after click reset button it goes not responding again it was showing reset jabber options and when jabber sign in after sign out takes long time.
I have tested in Windows 7 64 bit working properly with out time delay attached PRT logs
Facing issue in Windows 10 EN and JP environment .

Conditions:
Environment Matrix:
Unified CM: 12.0.0.99833-3
IM and Presence Service: 12.0.0.99833-2
Jabber for Windows:11.9.53437
Windows 7 & 10

Workaround:

Hope this helps
Cheers
Rath!

***Please rate helpful posts***

I can confirm that I am having the same issue with Reset of Jabber for Windows not taking. 

Jabber v 12.0.1

CUCM v 10.5(2) SU 3a

IM&P v 10.5(2) SU 2a

Windows 10 1703

Hi there

I bet you could open up a TAC as there is no workaround listed. But you can see that the bug is fixed from Cisco side. You might need some hotfixes.

Hope this Helps

Cheers
Rath!

***Please rate helpful posts***

I question whether or not this is being caused by Windows passing windows credentials to the Jabber client?  Bug referenced does not seem relevant to what we are experiencing.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: