Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Set Disk State to "unconfigured-good" using Cisco PowerTools for PowerShell

Hi,

I'm wondering if there is a way to change the disk state from "jbod" to "unconfigured-good" using PowerShell. It is possible using the GUI and the CLI.

The new Cisco C240-M4 is comming with a Cisco RAID Controller capable to handle disks in JBOD mode. Unfortunately Cisco delivers new servers with all disks configured as "jbod" and we have to manually change the disk state to "unconfigured-good" before we can successfully assign a Service Profile. We are used to use PowerShell to automate the process but with the new C240-M4 coming with disks in "jbod" mode and without a function to change the disk state this is no longer possible without manual interaction.

I can use Get-UcsStorageLocalDisk to check the current disk state but I'm missing a Set-UcsStorageLocalDisk function to change it. Unfortunately the DiskState property is read only.

Is someone aware of a backdoor to change the disk state?

Kind regards,

Stephan

7 Replies 7

Hi,

A colleague pointed me to the XML API of UCS Manager http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/unified_computing/ucs/sw/api/b_ucs_api_book/b_ucs_api_book_chapter_010.html. With a little help of the Java log and trace files I was able to find a solution for my problem. However, I find the XML API difficult to use and would appreciate a PowerShell cmdLet. Maybe someone from the PowerTools developer team reads this message and hears my request.

Kind regards,

Stephan

Hi Kirk,

thank you for pointing me to a more suitable forum.

Kind regards,
Stephan

... now it's getting weired...

I accidently used ConvertTo-UcsCmdlet to get an idea how to use Start-UcsTransaction and prepared my Server by chaning the disk state to jbod. Out of the sudden ConvertTo-UcsCmdlet displayed a waring:

WARNING: Set-UcsStorageLocalDisk cmdlet does not exist. Using the generic version.
#Post your query or feedback in Cisco UCS Integrations Communities (https://communities.cisco.com/ucsintegraions) or contact Cisco TAC.

And a few minutes later it came up with this proposal:

Get-UcsRackUnit -Id 53 | Get-UcsComputeBoard | Get-UcsStorageController -Type "SAS" -Id 2 | Get-UcsStorageLocalDisk -Id 3 | Set-UcsManagedObject -PropertyMap @{AdminActionTrigger="triggered"; AdminAction="jbod"; }

Really funny!

- Stephan

sutam
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

Can anyone point me to a cli procedure/command that can change the state

of a drive from JBOD to Unconfigured Good with CLI . The system is a chassis server with model UCS B200 M4

eric.singer
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

Had this same problem and figured out how to resolve and wanted to share incase anyone else needs help.

Basically, you need to use the "-adminaction" parameter. 

For example:

Get-imcstoragelocaldisk -imc $handle | set-imcstoragelocaldisk -imc $handle -adminaction "make-unconfigured-good"

If you throw some bogus string into the admin action it will actually return a list of most of the valid actions, which is how i figured this out :)

@eric.singer 

Where should I enter the command??

I want to make "JBOD" into "unconfigured good" state.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card