Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Nexus 3548 VRFs and VRF-lite

Hello all,

we're planning to implement VRFs on our 3548s but the documentation is quite confusing about what features are in the base license and what's in the Entreprise license when it comes to VRFs and VRF-lite. The base license supports VRFs but to what extend ? Is the difference only the overlap in IP ranges or is there more to it ?

from the docs:

VRF-lite is a feature that enables a service provider to support two or more VPNs, where IP addresses can be overlapped among the VPNs. VRF-lite uses input interfaces to distinguish routes for different VPNs and forms virtual packet-forwarding tables by associating one or more Layer 3 interfaces with each VRF. Interfaces in a VRF can be either physical, such as Ethernet ports, or logical, such as VLAN SVIs, but a Layer 3 interface cannot belong to more than one VRF at any time.

Regards,

Marcel Tempelman.

2 Replies 2

Philip D'Ath
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Do you need any routing protocols, like BGP (this might make the answer easy)?

What kinds of things do you need it to do?  Static routing in VRFs?

VRF-Lite is quite functional in small setups.

At this moment we do not need routing protocols. Just separation of customer environments. I was able to create several VRFs and add member interfaces to these VRFs without having an Enterprise license. I expected these features not being available because the docs state you need the Enterprise license for VRF-Lite.

I also checked the feature navigator but it does not list the N3500 as a platform.

Regards,

Marcel.