Views
Helpful
Replies

Single IP address, multiple WAN links

Ashish Kumar
Level 1
Level 1

Hello Folks,

Recently I have received a scenario where our ISP is giving us 5 Gbps link but they don't have 10 Gbps line so they are giving 5 OFC line 1 Gig each.

We have got only one WAN IP from ISP end. Is there any way to use a single IP for all 5 ports and have a aggregation link?

Regards,

Ashish.

7 Replies 7

Hello,

You mean one single range of IP? if yes,

interface Serial0/0/0:0

no ip address

encapsulation ppp

ppp multilink

ppp multilink group 1

!

interface Serial0/0/1:0

no ip address

encapsulation ppp

ppp multilink

ppp multilink group 1

!

interface Serial0/1/0:0

no ip address

encapsulation ppp

ppp multilink

ppp multilink group 1

and so on,

then you can set your public address on multilink interface and translate your private addresses to that public address using NAT. (if you need)

interface Multilink1

IP address [ your public address]

no cdp enable

ppp multilink

ppp multilink group 1

Or you can put your IP address on ethernet interface and assign unnumbered to multilink

interface Multilink1

IP address [unnumbered fa0/0]

no cdp enable

ppp multilink

ppp multilink group

interface fa0/0

ip address ...

Let me know if you have more question,

Masoud

Hello Dear Masoud,

Thanks for your suggestion,

there is a problem, my router have 10GBASE-LR SFP interface.

and one more thing is, this is between ISP exchange and my router. im not aware of what kind of device they are having at their side.

Ashish.

Hello,

If you have Ethernet interfaces, portchannel is one solution. You usually config your side and ISP configures its own side, than you set your IP on interface portchannel.

If you router has switching module, you can configure interface VLAN and set that single IP on the interface and then route toward the gateway provided to you. (usually gateway is HSRP).

But before that, you need to talk to your ISP to come up with a solution.

Masoud

bamerica87
Level 1
Level 1

I would check with the ISP and see if they offer LACP with the links. If they do, you could simply bond all 5 links together on either a routing or switching platform. 

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Disclaimer

The Author of this posting offers the information contained within this posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose. Information provided is for informational purposes only and should not be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind. Usage of this posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In no event shall Author be liable for any damages wha2tsoever (including, without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit) arising out of the use or inability to use the posting's information even if Author has been advised of the possibility of such damage.

Posting

"OFC" - optical fiber? - Ethernet?  If so, if between same two devices, depending on device, LACP might be an option.  (NB: MLPPP, as mentioned by Masoud, usually cannot support gig.)

Hello Joseph,

Thanks for writing....

its on Optical Fiber.

Im not aware of that what device ISP is using at their end. Usually ISP (in india) provides links from their exchanges. so LACP will not help here.

Ashish.

I think you have to call the ISP to see what they had in mind when they engineered this solution for you.  If they gave your 5 layer 2 paths and only 1 public IP then they must expect some sort of link aggregation or load sharing.

Do you have any sort of turnover document from the ISP with details?

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card