cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

ASA VPN clients

Joshuabowers
Level 1
Level 1

I could not find the answer to this in google.

Do you have to use the anyconnect software or can you use other client software like openvpn to connect to your asa.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

If it's for home, all ASAs come with 2 free AnyConnect Premium licenses.

You can even setup a clientless SSL VPN using those and not require any client software - just a browser.

Purchase price for a small number of AnyConnect licenses is not very expensive for that matter.

You can use generic third party clients for IPsec IKEv1 VPN (not for client-based SSL VPN).

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

Kevin_W
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Joshuabowers,

to connect via VPN on an ASA firewall I would recommend to use AnyConnect. I do not know if other clients/brands will work, but I guess it is not recommended.

OK, I'm just trying to avoid anyconnect because from i heard is that you need to buy lic # for them.

Home set up

If it's for home, all ASAs come with 2 free AnyConnect Premium licenses.

You can even setup a clientless SSL VPN using those and not require any client software - just a browser.

Purchase price for a small number of AnyConnect licenses is not very expensive for that matter.

You can use generic third party clients for IPsec IKEv1 VPN (not for client-based SSL VPN).

are those 2 free license gone after they they associate to a user or are those 2 for 2users connected at a single point in time.

Since I'am behind a consumer grade cisco all in one router(wifi,switch,routing), what port would have to forwarded or would I place the asa before the router.

The included AnyConnect licenses are for concurrent connections. There's not any persistent association of a license to a user.

Where you place an ASA depends on what you want to do with it.

Diego Lopez
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

Sure you can use a thirdparty software for VPN for example windows has a client that can establish L2TP connections here is a detailed documentation from cisco that will help you setup the ASA to use L2TP over IPsec and also setup the windows connections you can search online how to set it up on windows 7 but you can use the ASA configuration from the documentation is very detailed:

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/security/asa-5500-x-series-next-generation-firewalls/71028-l2tp-w2kxp-pix72-pre.html

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/security/asa/asa84/configuration/guide/asa_84_cli_config/vpn_l2tp_ipsec.html

Hope it helps, please rate.