Views
Helpful
Replies

Eight stacked 2960X

DialerString_2
Level 3
Level 3

Hello Everyone

My goal is to create an access layer stack of eight 2960x switches (or two stacks of four) but my concern would be the up-link speed to core (4506-E).  A fellow engineer suggested a 10G up-link from the stack.  Is anyone running a stack of four or more switches and if so are you using cross ether-channel? Do you have up-links from each member in the stack to your core/distribution? Have you seen in performance issues or gains?

Thanks!!

4 Replies 4

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

I've got a significant number of stacked 2960S and I run Etherchannel on the uplinks.  I don't see any issue.

Thanks for your comment, Leo.  I've decided to use 1gig up-links and configure the ether channels.

Just to add to Leo's note.  I usually don't stack more than 4.  The reason being is that if there is something wrong with a stack of 8 switches, you lose everything vs stack of 4 you lose half of that. This may also give you more throughput since you are using 1Gig interfaces for uplinks.

HTH

Philip D'Ath
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

I would run with two stacks of 4 switches, just to reduce the size of a problem if something goes horribly wrong.

I normally use a 1Gbe uplink from each switch and run them into four separate blades on a 4500 and then Etherchannel the whole lot together.  Then if a blade dies everything keeps working.

Never had a performance problem.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card