cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Aironet 1530 Outdoor AP's need rebooted daily

Mitchell Cowles
Level 1
Level 1

I have 5 Cisco 1530 outdoor autonomous APs that are used to connect to DVR's in school buses and download video clips. Every day I need to reboot these devices to re-establish connectivity with the clients.

The bus DVR's have static IP addresses so no DHCP is being utilized at all. While the devices are working properly, I can see my clients connected in the access point https gui with mac addresses and IP addresses (192.168.8.x - 192.168.12.x). Every morning when I get to work I log into the AP gui and I see clients connected with their associated mac addresses but all of the IP addresses read 0.0.0.0!

I have tried simply disabling and then enabling the wireless radio.  This does not help. I have to SSL in with PuTTY and send a reload command via CLI to get the devices to talk to the school bus DVRs again.

Any advice anyone can offer for troubleshooting is very much appreciated. I am a desktop/SCCM guy that has been recently promoted into the network world. Forgive my noobishness if it is obvious.

5 Replies 5

Can you connect to the CLI and you share the configuration( sh runn) of one of the APs, and do a "show logg" before you reload the AP as a start.

regards

Richard

Thanks for the reply Richard. I am attaching the requested logs.

Hi Mitchell,

the config all looks pretty normal. But do you need to allow all data rates?

speed  basic-1.0 2.0 5.5 11.0 6.0 9.0 12.0 18.0 24.0 36.0 48.0 54.0 m0. m1. m2. m3. m4. m5. m6. m7. m8. m9. m10. m11. m12. m13. m14. m15.

Do you have any clients still runing dot11b radios?

You not using IPV6 so remove the on BVI1 interface

ipv6 address dhcp

ipv6 address autoconfig

I do have the following on all the interfaces

no ip route-cache

perhaps its there by default on later IOS.

You could try the "no dot11 extension aironet" on the radio interface it has fixed some peoples problems.

I take it the equipment in the buses is switched off at night, so has the configuration of the DVRs been double checked, i wonder if it is trying DHCP first?

I take it you can't ping the DVRs till you have reset the APs, just in case that kicks it into life, and is there anything you could do from the DVR side to try and kick it into life.

This is an interesting one let me know how you go.

Richard

Hi Richard,

Thanks for the advice. I tried disabling IPV6 but that didn't  make a change. I left it disabled since we are not using it.

After drilling around in the AP settings via https I located the Enable/Disable Aironet Extension radio buttons. I disable the extensions and saved the configuration. Without rebooting I noticed immediate results. I had clients showing as connected with viable IP addresses, no longer 0.0.0.0. More importantly, Using the software GUI for the bus cameras I was able to confirm the buses were indeed connected to the server and uploading video clips.

I will keep monitoring the situation and get you updated. Right now I am cautiously optimistic that this might have been the fix I desired.

Thank you sir, I appreciate you time and attention very much!

hi,

i suspect a rogue DHCP server issue. do you have a standalone DHCP server or is it configured on a router?

when the issue happens, issue an arp -a from a wifi client and trace the MAC address of its default gateway.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card