cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

2960X PoE Switches and off-brand switches

brucesackett
Level 1
Level 1

I have a customer that wants to add a couple of small 4 port switches into their existing network to expand a couple of offices temporarily.  In their case, they have a pair of linked 2960X PoE switches that they would like to attach to.

A test by one of their people appears to show that this will not work - either the switch or something else is preventing the cheap switch from connecting to the network.  Is this the case?  If so, is there a Cisco alternative to work with to make this happen?  They will be doing a lot of remodeling, and the ability to add and remove small switch blocks would be a big help while desks are being moved.

2 Replies 2

Giuseppe Larosa
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hello Bruce,

adding unmanaged small cheap switches to a network is always a bad idea. I have seen customers desperate because after one year one of this small boxes created a bridging loop that blocked the whole campus network.

I don't know why it is not possible to connect the small switches to the 2960-X switches but I recommend to do not do it.

This is my opinion based on my work experience.

Hope to help

Giuseppe

Hello, .

Can you show configuration of the 2960-X ports where they trying to connect this small switches?

And I will agree with Giuseppe Larosa. It really is a bad idea to connect not manageble switches to the network. If you configure 2960-X right the loop will not breake all your network but it will turn off one or 2 ports of the 2960-X switch.

Best Regards.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card