Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco ISE - Authentication Strategy

Daniel Stefani
Level 1
Level 1

Hello guys,

Would like opinions to a scalable  authentication strategy of users and / or workstations in Cisco ISE for the following scenario:

Customer with approximately 130 branches. Each branch has a different AD domain, without trust relationship with the HQ and with the other branches.

Knowing that the ISE supports integration with up to 50 domains, which suggestion for this case?

Regards,
Daniel Stefani

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Stefani,

Sure it will work, you can even use a centralized CA architecture, just make sure you can distribute these certificates to the endpoints...

Another option is to check if the AD User account is restricted (disabled, locked out, expired, password expired, and so on) via LDAP, but you need the username equals some field in the certificate (CN or SAN).

regards,

Fabio

View solution in original post

8 Replies 8

Jatin Katyal
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

That is right. - Cisco ISE supports multiple joins to Active Directory domains. Cisco ISE supports up to 50 Active Directory joins. Cisco ISE can connect with multiple Active Directory domains that do not have a two-way trust or have zero trust between them. Active Directory multi-domain join comprises a set of distinct Active Directory domains with their own groups, attributes, and authorization policies for each join. More information - ISE 1.3 & AD integration.

~Jatin

Hi Jatin Katyal, Thank you.

What the strategy for the other 80 branches?

Regards,
Daniel Stefani

Hi Daniel,

Let me get back to you on this.

~ Jatin

~Jatin

Hi Jatin,

thank you. I wait.

Best Regards,

Daniel Stefani

Might not be ideal from a configuration standpoint, but you could build LDAP connections to the 80 remote branches, setup the user/group search base (CN=Users,DC=domain,DC=local and etc.) and then in your authentication policies, check network device group then set the LDAP server for that site to process the request.

Hi JJohnston, thanks for aswer...use LDAP may be an alternative.
I was thinking of doing authentication using digital certificates only.
Each branch would have a CA (Windows) to generate and distribute a certificate to authenticate workstations.
In ISE, I would create authentication and authorization policies to validate these certificates(Workstatios).
Not sure if this design can work, but it is what I have in mind right now.

What do you think ?

Best Regards,

Daniel Stefani

Stefani,

Sure it will work, you can even use a centralized CA architecture, just make sure you can distribute these certificates to the endpoints...

Another option is to check if the AD User account is restricted (disabled, locked out, expired, password expired, and so on) via LDAP, but you need the username equals some field in the certificate (CN or SAN).

regards,

Fabio

Thank you Fabio.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: