cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

traceroute is not working but pinging

nilesh.dubey
Level 1
Level 1

I can ping an IP address but not traceroute. When I am trying to traceroute getting below response. Could anyone assist me to resolve it.

1  *  *  *
  2  *  *  *
  3  *  *  *
  4  *  *  *
  5  *  *  *
  6  *  *  *
  7  *  *  *
  8  *  *  *
  9  *  *  *
 10  *  *  *
 11  *  *  *
 12  *  *  *

Regards

Nilesh

6 Replies 6

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Difficult to say without knowing what devices are between the source and destination IP.

Ping simply sends an ICMP packet to the destination IP and gets a response back.

Traceroute on the other hand sends ICMP packets with increasing TTLs so each L3 device along the path has to send a response to source IP.

So it could be acls, firewalls, router configurations etc. that are stopping the traceroute from working correctly. 

Jon

Hi,

Cisco is using UDP for traceroute actually.

So if the source device would be a Cisco switch, e.g., there could be an ACL or FW rule permitting ICMP echo (=Ping) but denying UDP (=traceroute) causing the symptoms?

Best regards,

Milan

Hi Jon,

There is no such access-list on router but I am not sure about the firewall, if it would be blocking.

Regards

Nilesh

Hello

Following on from Jons response- On the router try and either disable IP domain-lookup or use the numeric command

By default traceroute performs dns resolution 

traceroute xxxxxx numeric

Res

Paul

Please rate and mark as an accepted solution if you have found any of the information provided useful.
This then could assist others on these forums to find a valuable answer and broadens the community’s global network.

Kind Regards
Paul

Hi Paul,

I tried that but it did not work.

Regards

Nilesh

Even if ICPM can be inspected and you can ping to the internet but when you do a trace to the same IP as you ping the firewall will block the returning traffic, I had the same problem until I allow icmp from any to the internal IPs as traffic hit the outside interface then everything worked.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card