cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Can 2 controllers in different version and model do roaming?

Hi,

I have 2 models of controller WLC 5508 and 2504. I have 2 groups of APs.

WLC 5508 is running version 8.0 and WLC 2504 is running version 7.6.

Can I configure to be used anchor between 2 controllers?

Now I have no link between 2 controllers but I guess to implement this and not sure that can do or not.

***I read instruction and must be the same version but not sure about model***

Regards,

Ratchapas

4 Replies 4

Sandeep Choudhary
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi,

It will work but keep these thing in mind:

When Diff. controllers in the mobility list use different software versions, Layer 2 or Layer 3 clients have limited roaming support. Layer 2 or Layer 3 client roaming is supported only between controllers that use the same version or with controllers that run versions 7.X.X.

If you inadvertently configure a controller with a failover controller that runs a different software release, the access point might take a long time to join the failover controller because the access point starts the discovery process in CAPWAP and then changes to LWAPP discovery.

Regards

Don't forget to rate helpful posts

Hi, 

Do you mean controllers support mobility group if run version up to 7.X.X? 

In this case, controllers support as you said, right?

Both of controller are fully license if one controller is failure access points where connected to its will be down.

Regards

7.X.X or higher.... So you are fit in it.

If both controller have enough AP license and primary WLC goes down then all AP will move to secondary.

Info: If both WLC is running the same image then AP will take 2-5 min to move from WLC1 to WLC2.

If both WLC have diff version of software then it will take long time to join to secondary WLC because of new SW upgrade.

Regards

Dont forget to rate helpful posts

mohanak
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

A mobility group is a set of controllers, identified by the same mobility group name, that defines the realm of seamless roaming for wireless clients. By creating a mobility group, you can enable multiple controllers in a network to dynamically share information and forward data traffic when inter-controller or inter-subnet roaming occurs. Controllers in the same mobility group can share the context and state of client devices as well as their list of access points so that they do not consider each other’s access points as rogue devices. With this information, the network can support inter-controller wireless LAN roaming and controller redundancy.

Note Controllers do not have to be of the same model to be a member of a mobility group. Mobility groups can be comprised of any combination of controller platforms.

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/wireless/controller/7-0/configuration/guide/c70/c70mobil.html

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card