cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Mixed/Overlapping VLSM for OSPF

grandcanuck
Level 1
Level 1

I have a simple question I'm having difficulty finding an answer to. Can I use overlapping VLSM statements to break off only one (or a few) /30s in a different area? Something like:

network 192.168.253.0 0.0.0.255 area 0
network 192.168.253.64 0.0.0.4 area 91
(notice how these overlap). I have the first line there which puts all the /30s in a single area. I need to break them off in a different area.
Regards,
1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Rolf Fischer
Level 9
Level 9

Hello and welcome at the CSC forum!

Yes, you can use overlapping network statements for different areas under the same OSPF process. You can find a more detailed answer in this discussion: https://supportforums.cisco.com/discussion/12510021/conflict-router-ospf-netwok-commands

I guess there is a typo in the wildcard mask? The IOS OSPF implementation does not allow discontiguous wildcard masks in network statements. You can only use 0.0.0.0, 0.0.0.1, 0.0.0.3, 0.0.0.7 and so on.

HTH
Rolf

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Rolf Fischer
Level 9
Level 9

Hello and welcome at the CSC forum!

Yes, you can use overlapping network statements for different areas under the same OSPF process. You can find a more detailed answer in this discussion: https://supportforums.cisco.com/discussion/12510021/conflict-router-ospf-netwok-commands

I guess there is a typo in the wildcard mask? The IOS OSPF implementation does not allow discontiguous wildcard masks in network statements. You can only use 0.0.0.0, 0.0.0.1, 0.0.0.3, 0.0.0.7 and so on.

HTH
Rolf

Thanks, I indeed fat fingered the mask, meant 0.0.0.3. I did run tests and it works fine. I was able to add a network statement for the /24 and a few different ones for specific /30's.

Thank you.

Disclaimer

The Author of this posting offers the information contained within this posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose. Information provided is for informational purposes only and should not be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind. Usage of this posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In no event shall Author be liable for any damages wha2tsoever (including, without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit) arising out of the use or inability to use the posting's information even if Author has been advised of the possibility of such damage.

Posting

As you've found, and as Rolf explained, it can be done.

Years ago, you had to be careful with how you sequenced your network statements, for example, in your OP you have the larger address block first, so none would make it to the more specific.  In later devices (or IOS versions), I believe OSPF will reorder the overlapping network statements, so the more specific is matched first.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card