Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

802.11an and 802.11bn Laptops

Hi

I am observing in Cisco WLC that i am registered using protocol 802.11bn and my friend who is sitting beside me is registered with 802.11an protocol . Can you please tell me why is it so as we are using same configured laptops .

Secondly if i want to change my protocol as 802.11an how can i do it

2 Replies 2

mohanak
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

If the 802.11n client associates to an 802.11a radio that has 802.11n enabled, then the client type shows as 802.11a/n. If the 802.11n client associates to an 802.11b/g radio with 802.11n enabled, then the client type shows as 802.11b/n.

http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/network-and-i-o/wireless-networking/000005544.html

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Depends on a lot of factors.  

1.  Will the wireless client NIC card support 802.11a/b/g/n protocol? 

2.  What is the make, model and hardware version of the wireless NIC card in question? 

3.  In some wireless NIC card, what "priority" is the wireless NIC card set to operate on?

4.  What is the distance between the wireless NIC card and the TWO (2) nearest AP with broadcasting the same SSID? 

5.  What is the RSSI values of these two APs in relation to the wireless client? 

6.  What is the RSSI values do the two APs see the wireless client?

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card