Views
Helpful
Replies

Trunk and access issuse

No2984932
Level 1
Level 1

Hi ,

Switch 2960 is configured with several VLANs ( 10,20,30,40) and that switch  I am using to connect my servers on which is running virtual hosta (VMware). Port on switch is trunk and there is a router for communications between VLANs. (classic router on stik).

Now I have some big data to copy from one vlan (vlan 20) to host (physical server) which is  on access port on same switch. I do not want to use router for this .

is there a way to copy data between those two hosts without using the router ?

I know that if the both port put to be an access in VLAN 20 router wont be necessary. But then other host on VLAVs 10,30,40) will be unavailable.

6 Replies 6

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Why would the other hosts be unavailable ?

Jon

because port will be then access in vlan 20.

Now port is in trunk mode and allowed vlan 10,20,30,40 . Port on which is connected virtual hosts.

Paul Chapman
Level 4
Level 4

Hi -

Easiest solution to copy data would be to add a second NIC to one of the VMs and put it in the same VLAN with the other server, then copy your data.

Yes, then new port will be access... I agree .

what will happen if port on which is connect server change to trunk port and allow vlan 20 ?

That would be fine as long as the server can support tagging.

If either of the devices can support tagging that is all you need.

Jon

thanks friends

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card