cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Removing HSRP

emma.lemin1
Level 1
Level 1

I work for a Service Provider and one of our customers has asked to have the HSRP configuration removed and the LAN address changed to the Standby address. I thought that this would be reasonably straightforward until I tried...

I removed the tracking and standby configuration off the router without any problems, but when I tried to change the LAN address to the Standby IP address there were duplicate IP address errors coming up in the logs on the router. I tried clearing the ARP cache, but that made no difference. The ARP was showing an entry to the Standby IP address with the virtual MAC address 0000.0c07.ac01. How do I clear this, so that I can re-use this IP address please?

1 Reply 1

Hello emma.lemin1,

have you tried the command: "clear ip arp" instead of "clear arp-cache"? There is a difference between these two commands. If it doesn't fix your issue, try to remove the HSRP group's configuration, change what you need to change, and re-apply the HSRP configs.

It sounds like something weird anyway, have you tried to have a look on the Cisco dedicated area or open a TAC to the support so that they could give you a feedback? I think this is kind of stuff you absolutely need to contact the TAC about.

Hope this hepls,

L.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: