cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Question about Inter-VLAN routing

ilija.zikovski1
Level 1
Level 1

Hi everyone! I'm kind off confused at the moment about a Lab i'm doing for Inter-VLAN routing. This is how the Lab looks like, i just built this lab randomly so i can try to make my question as clear as possible:

Inter-VLAN routing

Let's say i've configured the IP addresses, sub-interfaces, VLANS etc, EXCEPT the routers. My question is where those question marks are, do i need to use a routing protocol on those routers? If so, which IP addresses do i put in the protocols? Only the router's interfaces? Or do i include the subinterfaces or the PCs IP addresses?

Regards!

5 Replies 5

dukenuk96
Level 3
Level 3

Hi

you can use static routes everywhere if you like, you can use any dynamic routing protocol. There are three options to enable dynamic routing protocols - using 'network' statements with wildcard masks converted from real masks (so PCs addresses will be included), using 'network' statements witg wildcard masks 255.255.255.255 and IP addresses of interfaces you want to participate in routing protocol operations (PCs addresses wil not be included but network addresses still will be advertised, so everything will work), using interface-level configuration of routing protocol.

Hello

i have purchased sf300-48p and start its configuration very well but i face a problem so you can help me in this one

i have created 3 vlan

vlan 1 default   interface ip  192.168.1.254 /24 

vlan 16   interface ip  172.16.16.16 /24

vlan 23   interface ip  172.120.23.1 /24

when i connect a pc in vlan 23 and another one in valn 16 and start ping  i found that pc in vlan 23 can ping the pc in vlan 16 but pc in vlan 16 can't ping the one in vlan 23

can any one support me in that top urgent with commands

thanks

Without seeing the whole config, it's difficult, but...

1.  Do you have no proxy-arp on (some) interfaces? 

2.  Is routing enabled, and do you have any static routes (or routing protocols enabled?).

3.  What assigns IP addresses to the PC's and what gateway/masks are used?

Lucas.maupin1
Level 1
Level 1

As someone above stated, you can use static routes if you so choose, but other routing protocols can be used as well. For an easy setup, we can use a classful routing example with a standard class C mask (255.255.255.0). Typically you wouldn't want to do this due to lost address space, but to get the concept across we will.

For the router labeled 0, we could use an ip address of 192.168.1.1 /24 (255.255.255.0 sub mask). Remember that serial links between routers are on their own broadcast domain, so you have to choose an address within the same subnet of the first link. Since we have a HUGE (and unnecessary) amount of address space we can use 192.168.1.2 - 192.168.1.254 (Max of 254 addresses per subnet with a /24 mask). Use any address within the range, but I will use 192.168.1.2 for this example.

For the sake of the lesson, lets just continue using /24 masks.  The link between router 1 and 2 could use an address range from 192.168.2.1 - 254 for example. Okay so now we have to configure routing protocols on EACH of the router. Think of it as telling the router where to go next to get its information. You could use any type of protocol, but honestly, it just depends on your preference.

You can do static routes. On router 0 we can set a static route to router 2:

ip route 192.168.2.0 255.255.255.0 192.168.1.2

This means the router will forward traffic to the 192.168.2.0 /24 network and will exit the router from the interface with the ip address of 192.168.1.2 .Why did we not have to set a ip route for the links between routers 0 and 1/ 2 and 1? Well, because they are directly connected, they can already reach one another.

If you want to get REALLY easy, you can always do default routing which is just using the command (using router 0 as an example again):

ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 192.168.1.2

Which is basically telling the router you don't CARE what network is out there, you know it is out there somewhere and the only way to find it is through 192.168.1.2 . You can use other protocols (OSPF, EIGRP, etc) but that is up to your network's needs and preferences.

Hope this helped! (sorry if long winded)

I'm really sorry for the late response, but thank you a lot! This explanation was really helpful!

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card