Views
Helpful
Replies

Flexconnect AP Assistance

Craddockc
Level 3
Level 3

Community,

I have an AP I would like to put into Flexconnect mode. Once I do this I want one of the WLANs to be centrally authenticated but locally switched on the native (local data) vlan and I want the other WLAN to be centrally authenticated AND centrally switched, meaning I want all its traffic (including client traffic) to be tunneled back to the controller. I have other Flexconnect APs set up but all WLANs at each flexconnect AP are locally switched, mapping the vlans on the AP to locally defined VLANs. Is it possible to locally switch one WLAN while centrally switching the other on a flexconnect AP? If so, How do I accomplish this? Thanks.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

I haven't tried to do that before.  I don't see how it could work.

You can put the AP into local mode, but everything would be tunnelled for that AP.

I don't see how you can achieve what you would like to do.

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Philip D'Ath
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Yes you can do this.  Go into the WLAN, the advanced page, tick (or untick) "FlexConnect Local Switching" as required.

Philip,

Thank you for your reply. The issue is that the same wlan that I want to be centrally switched at this one location I have it set to be locally switched on all the other flexconnect AP locations. Does this mean that the WLAN has to be either locally switched or centrally switched across all flexconnect AP's?

I haven't tried to do that before.  I don't see how it could work.

You can put the AP into local mode, but everything would be tunnelled for that AP.

I don't see how you can achieve what you would like to do.

Phil,

Thanks again for the quick reply, i didnt see a way either which is why I reached out. It seems that if a wlan is set for local switching on a flexconnect AP then it is set for local switching on ALL flexconnect AP's. I wish there was a way to make the local/central switching of the same wlan AP specific. Maybe one day in a newer WLC code version :)

If I understand your question. I think you might achieve this with vlan based central switching using AAA. Maybe even Ap groups. Now you caught my interest. Ill need to go down this rabbit hole for my own knowledge. LOL

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/solutions/Enterprise/Mobility/emob73dg/emob73/ch7_HREA.html#pgfId-1092561 

"Satisfaction does not come from knowing the solution, it comes from knowing why." - Rosalind Franklin