cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

SPA112 - IPv6

jon.miron939
Level 1
Level 1

I know this has been brought up somewhere else close to a year ago, but it's 2016 and as of the latest firmware we still don't have IPv6 support on the SPA112.

They claim it's IPv6 ready, but the question is when (if ever?) do they plan on releasing a firmware to enable it.

8 Replies 8

Dan Lukes
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Wrong place top ask this here. This is volunteer forum. No volunteer can answer this question as no one can speak for Cisco. Call SMB support center.

But note the SPA112 is not designed to be placed on public IP of any kind. So you should assign no public IPv4 to it - and you should assign no public IPv6 address to it as well even if possible.

My apologies, their online chat suggested posting here.

Out of curiosity, why would you not want to place it on a public network?  I would think with a proper IPv6 firewall set up it wouldn't have much to worry about.

Thanks.

Not resistant against DoS kind of attacks. Can be overloaded easily. Not resistant against brutal force password guessing kind of attack. No firewall embedded so no chance to limit attack vectors.  In short - not ready to be exposed on public space (neither IPv4 nor IPv6). It's ready to be deployed on closed LAN only (behind firewall or application proxy).

I would think with a proper IPv6 firewall set up it wouldn't have much to worry about.

If you have a computer suitable to run IPv6 firewall, then it can run SIP proxy as well. Such proxy can run IPv4 on SPA112 side and IPv6 on "outer" side. Application proxy is easy to deploy, offer better safety and you need no IPv6 to be implemented on SPA112 itself with it.

I have nothing against IPv6 become implemented, but I consider it feature of little or no value unless SPA112 will be hardened enough to be exposed directly.

This seems to completely ignore the idea that I want to put my SPA-112 ATAs on a private (fd00::) IPv6 network. It doesn't matter how I want to use the device, there's either an upgrade path for the device or it's defective.

SPA112 support no IPv6.

It doesn't matter how I want to use the device

True as long as you are ready to buy few thousands of devices - in such case you can dictate features you wish to have. Contact Cisco's sales department ...

True even if you are not ready to buy large number of devices. Sorry to saying, but It really doesn't matter how you want to use the device ...

It does, however, matter what the data sheet says the device is capable of supporting. Which other features listed on the data sheet don't actually work?

It claim:

IPv4 (RFC 791) upgradeable to IPv6 (RFC 1883)

But it doesn't promise the required upgrade is available for free. As I claimed already, I'm sure you will receive the firmware upgrade you are wishing for if you have a lot of money to place order large enough.

Sue them if you feel cheated ...

Just for the completeness - RFC1883 has been claimed obsolete in 1998 - it mean 20(!) years ago.

I'll have to remember that Cisco datasheets are more guidelines than rules. Thanks for all your help!