Helpful
Replies

changing access-lists in SG 300-52

Douger9999
Level 1
Level 1

Hello all,

A little advice please... 

I recently set up Vlans and L3 switching in a small network. I spent some time tweaking the Access-lists to obtain the desired results, and finally achieved my goal. One observation I have is that when writing access-lists on the SG-300 I find I have better results working in the command-line rather than the GUI - as in the GUI I often have an error, telling me that a line already exists, though I know it does not.

I work in notepad as I was taught, writing out the access-list and making changes as needed. I then copy and paste the final access-list into the putty-based command line, then apply the access-list via command line too.

eg. 

ip access-list extended ACL_CHEESE permit tcp 172.16.1.1 0.0.0.0 any 172.16.2.1 0.0.0.0 80 ace-priority 10

ip access-list extended ACL_CHEESE deny tcp 172.16.1.1 0.0.0.0 any 172.16.2.1 0.0.0.0 80 ace-priority 20

int vlan 10

service-acl input ACL_CHEESE

This applies my Access-list to the correct vlan. Then suppose I want to change my access-list, I would type

no ip access-list extended ACL_CHEESE

This would delete ACL_CHEESE and remove the service-acl input ACL_CHEESE statement from vlan 10

Then I would modify my ACL_CHEESE in notepad and re-paste the modified version into the console and re-write the service-acl line for vlan 10.

However, I noticed that the changes were not instant when using this method. Is that because the switch is busy trying to clear the access-list from it's TCAM table and re-write the new access-list into the TCAM table, so it can be processed in hardware? If so how long does this take? I know it depends how busy the switch is and how long the access-list is etc, but is there a ball park figure? 

There is a command in ASA firewalls, which is clear xlate. I understand this to mean that all current translations (including Access-list rules) are cleared and reprocessed immediately. Is my understanding correct, and is there something which I can do in the SG300 switches to achieve a similar goal?

Or is there simply a better way of writing/editing access-lists which avoids this problem?

Thanks

Doug

1 Reply 1

Douger9999
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

Anyone have any ideas please?

Thanks

Doug

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Switch products supported in this community
Cisco Business Product Family
  • CBS110
  • CBS220
  • CBS250
  • CBS350
Cisco Switching Product Family
  • 350X
  • 550X