cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Working with PIM sparse mode switches in a dense mode environment

CrackedJack1
Level 1
Level 1

If my current network is setup with pim dense-mode (due to legacy reasons) on the svi of my layer 3 switch, can I connect a switch, via layer 2, that only does PIM sparse-mode?

My layer 3 switch with pim dense-mode are Cisco at the moment. I might be adding some non-cisco switches (exact make/mode to be determined) and some of these switches say they only support pim sparse mode. Will my multicast traffic work if these new switches are connected via layer 2 trunk ports or will multicast not be passed to these new switches? The new switches will not be directly connected to the switch with the SVI set tp dense mode but probably cascaded off another layer 2 which is connected to the layer 3 switch.

I’m thinking since it’s layer 2 it should work but I’m sure if the multicast traffic will flow over the trunk correctly because it will be coming from a dense-mode setup.

If anyone knows the answer please share :)

Thanks

1 Reply 1

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Dense-mode and Sparse-mode is defined at layer-3 interface (SVI).  If you are connecting just layer-2 switches, they don't need to run dense or sparse mode, they only need IGMP snooping.

HTH

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card