Views
Helpful
Replies

ASR 9904 SFP compatibility and vendor interoperability

foysol_bgd
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Experts, 

I am trying to resolve a issue with Cisco ASR9904 and Arista switch. In ASR 9904 I have used Cisco GLC-SX-MMD sfp. Here are the detials. 

NAME: "module mau GigabitEthernet0/0/CPU0/0", DESCR: "1000BASE-SX SFP transceiver module, MMF, 850nm, DOM"
PID: GLC-SX-MMD

In Arista switch I have used Arista SX-MMD SFP. After manually settings the speeds interfaces came up but I observed 1 ping drops after 3200 pings.

When I connect the same Arista switch with Cisco 3400 ME with same cable and same SFP there was no ping drops. Not sure how to resolve this. Any advice will be great. 

here is the line card details of 9k. 

NAME: "module 0/0/CPU0", DESCR: "20-Port, 16x1GE_4xT Service Edge Optimized LC"
PID: A9K-4T16GE-SE, VID: V01,

3 Replies 3

Philip D'Ath
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

You are experiencing a packet loss rate of 0.03%.  I would call that acceptable.

Perhaps try a hard test, like an iperf UDP high bandwidth test, and see much packet loss you get - but it doesn't sound like you have a problem to me.

Other Cisco switches/Routers working good with Arista using the same sfp and cable. 

I know the error rate is very low but I need to resolve it. 

smilstea
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Agreed that the rate of .03% is rather low, that could just be a one off. We also don't know which side dropped the packet or which component of which router dropped the packet.

Typically what I do when trying to find ping loss is I increase to 10k or 20k pings, and I often use timeout 0 to send packets as quickly as possible (this will also increase the chances of drops). An ACL on the port to track ICMP echo request and echo reply is the easiest component level test that can be done to track which side is losing packets.

Thanks,

Sam

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: