Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco Jabber - Photo

Suchi
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Guys,

I configured Jabber 11.5  with flexible JID (mail id) , but Jabber clent dosent get photo from thumbnailPhoto attribute.

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/voice_ip_comm/jabber/11_5/CJAB_BK_D00D8CBD_00_deployment-installation-guide-cisco-jabber115/CJAB_BK_D00D8CBD_00_deployment-installation-guide-cisco-jabber115_chapter_011.html

Please advice.

Regards

Suchira

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

You need to customize your jabber-config file. Right now, your jabber-config file contains parameters for both BDI and EDI; such as BDISipUri which is obviously BDI and SipUri which is EDI. Your jabber-config file is missing a few mandatory parameters, so please review the Parameters Reference Guide for Cisco Jabber.

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/voice_ip_comm/jabber/11_5/CJAB_BK_J06BEF2D_00_jabber-parameters-reference-guide-115/CJAB_BK_J06BEF2D_00_jabber-parameters-reference-guide-115_chapter_01.html

Once you understand the basic structure of the jabber-config.xml file, then you can drive into the 'Book Contents'. The Directory chapter is going to contain the bulk of the stuff you need to configure. Since you have a mix environment (Jabber for Windows and Jabber for iPhone), your options are;

1) Configure UDS - That's probably what Cisco is going to recommend.

2) Configure multiple jabber-config files, and then use the device Cisco Support Field to provision jabber-config file groups, for example;

jabber-group1-config.xml

jabber-group2-config.xml

3) Develop a Login Script via PowerShell to automatically assign a jabber-config file to a group of users, based on AD attributes - Location or Company... using the same principal above.

Regardless, I would recommend adding at least the following parameters under the Directory;

<DirectoryServiceType>EDI</DirectoryServiceType>

*If you don't specify the DirectoryServiceType, Presence defaults to BDI and whatever you have configured under Application > Client Settings.

*Cisco Jabber for iPhone doesn't support EDI... so, you need to use BDI or UDS. Cisco Jabber for Windows prefers EDI or UDS, but I believe you can use BDI if you really want to. However, I experienced too many problems with BDI while using CJ4W that I only use EDI or UDS now.

<PrimaryServerName>Hostname or IP Address of your AD server</PrimaryServerName>

<ServerPort1>389/3268</ServerPort1>

If you enabled TLS/SSL, then you should change this parameter to...

<ServerPort1>636/3269</ServerPort1>

<SearchTimeout>10</SearchTimeout>

<PhotoSource>thumbnailPhoto</PhotoSource>

*The PhotoSource parameter is optional but useful if you want to change the value for testing without impacting all of the users. You can change the default value to thumbnailLogo... or whatever.

For Example: <PhotoSource>thumbnailLogo</PhotoSource>

Also, verify the photos exist in AD Global Catalog and users can query the photos without credentials, otherwise, you need to include additional parameters to account for this - such as;

<Directory>

<UseWindowsCredentials>1</UseWindowsCredentials>

</Directory>

Or, you can create a Service Account and add the following parameters;

<Directory>

<ConnectionUsername>YourServiceAccountName</ConnectionUsername>

<ConnectionPassword>YourServiceAccountPwd</ConnectionPassword>

</Directory>

And finally, off hand - I don't know if there's a photo size limitation for AD but the photos we listed in AD were only a few KB... so try to reformat your photo. This is where the PhotoSource parameter becomes handy.

Good Luck!

View solution in original post

11 Replies 11

Jaime Valencia
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Exactly what have you configured for this?

Just saying something doesn't work, but not explaining what has been configured, doesn't work.

HTH

java

if this helps, please rate

Hi Jaime,

Jabber doesn't get the thumbnail photo. Do i need to configure jabber.xml ?

Thanks

Yes, the Jabber documentation goes over the different options you have to configure the contact pictures, but this is something you need to configure, have you reviewed that documentation?

HTH

java

Cisco doc said , no config required to get thumbnail photo

• ' Active Directory Binary Objects—No configuration needed, Cisco Jabber retrieves the binary photo from the thumbnailPhoto attribute.'

But Jabber doesen't get the photo. Do i need to edit Jabber.xml?

Thanks

OK, what size is the picture you added to AD?

HTH

java

It is about 30 KB, is there any limitation?

Are you using BDI, EDI or UDS?

Next, check out the Directory parameters for the jabber-config.xml file;

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/voice_ip_comm/jabber/11_5/CJAB_BK_J06BEF2D_00_jabber-parameters-reference-guide-115/CJAB_BK_J06BEF2D_00_jabber-parameters-reference-guide-115_chapter_01001.html

You can retrieve photos a couple of ways...

You can use Active Directory or some type of external database server. If you want to use AD, then you need to 1) make sure the thumbnailPhoto attribute is a global attribute within AD, and 2) you should reference the thumbnailPhoto attribute in the jabber-config.xml file, under the Directory section.

Or, you can use the "PhotoURI..." attributes to reference a specific user via by sAMAccountName, by IM (eMail) Address, etc. The combination of these "PhotoURI..." attributes, help creates a unique URL to a contact photo. 

The full list of attributes can be found under the following sections; PhotoUriSubstitutionToken or BDIPhotoUriSubstitutionToken. If you elected to use UDS, then photos would be retrieved (tunnel) through CUCM. Obviously, CUCM would obtain the photos from AD or whatever external db source. 

*NOTICE: Depending on how many users you have, how many photos you have (meaning, does every user have a photo), the average size of the photos, the average number of contacts per user and how many intercluster peers you have... the distribution of contact photos might take several hours, if not days to complete.

Hi Mark Thanks your reply, that means i have add thumbnailPhoto to my xml , below is the xml i currently use. I want to deply jabber for windows & iphone, can i use below xml or do i need to change directory type?

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
-<config>
-<Policies>
<EnableSIPURIDialling>True</EnableSIPURIDialling>
</Policies>
-<Client>
<enablesavechathistorytoexchange>True</enablesavechathistorytoexchange>
<InternalExchangeServer>mail.abcd.com</InternalExchangeServer>
<Persistent_Chat_Enabled>True</Persistent_Chat_Enabled>
</Client>
-<Directory>
<SipUri>mail</SipUri>
<UseSIPURIToResolveContacts>true</UseSIPURIToResolveContacts>
<BDISipUri>mail</BDISipUri>
<BDIUseSIPURIToResolveContacts>true</BDIUseSIPURIToResolveContacts>
<BusinessPhone>telephoneNumber</BusinessPhone>
</Directory>
</config>

You need to customize your jabber-config file. Right now, your jabber-config file contains parameters for both BDI and EDI; such as BDISipUri which is obviously BDI and SipUri which is EDI. Your jabber-config file is missing a few mandatory parameters, so please review the Parameters Reference Guide for Cisco Jabber.

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/voice_ip_comm/jabber/11_5/CJAB_BK_J06BEF2D_00_jabber-parameters-reference-guide-115/CJAB_BK_J06BEF2D_00_jabber-parameters-reference-guide-115_chapter_01.html

Once you understand the basic structure of the jabber-config.xml file, then you can drive into the 'Book Contents'. The Directory chapter is going to contain the bulk of the stuff you need to configure. Since you have a mix environment (Jabber for Windows and Jabber for iPhone), your options are;

1) Configure UDS - That's probably what Cisco is going to recommend.

2) Configure multiple jabber-config files, and then use the device Cisco Support Field to provision jabber-config file groups, for example;

jabber-group1-config.xml

jabber-group2-config.xml

3) Develop a Login Script via PowerShell to automatically assign a jabber-config file to a group of users, based on AD attributes - Location or Company... using the same principal above.

Regardless, I would recommend adding at least the following parameters under the Directory;

<DirectoryServiceType>EDI</DirectoryServiceType>

*If you don't specify the DirectoryServiceType, Presence defaults to BDI and whatever you have configured under Application > Client Settings.

*Cisco Jabber for iPhone doesn't support EDI... so, you need to use BDI or UDS. Cisco Jabber for Windows prefers EDI or UDS, but I believe you can use BDI if you really want to. However, I experienced too many problems with BDI while using CJ4W that I only use EDI or UDS now.

<PrimaryServerName>Hostname or IP Address of your AD server</PrimaryServerName>

<ServerPort1>389/3268</ServerPort1>

If you enabled TLS/SSL, then you should change this parameter to...

<ServerPort1>636/3269</ServerPort1>

<SearchTimeout>10</SearchTimeout>

*The PhotoSource parameter is optional but useful if you want to change the value for testing without impacting all of the users. You can change the default value to thumbnailLogo... or whatever.

For Example: <PhotoSource>thumbnailLogo</PhotoSource>

Also, verify the photos exist in AD Global Catalog and users can query the photos without credentials, otherwise, you need to include additional parameters to account for this - such as;

<Directory>

<UseWindowsCredentials>1</UseWindowsCredentials>

</Directory>

Or, you can create a Service Account and add the following parameters;

<Directory>

<ConnectionUsername>YourServiceAccountName</ConnectionUsername>

<ConnectionPassword>YourServiceAccountPwd</ConnectionPassword>

</Directory>

And finally, off hand - I don't know if there's a photo size limitation for AD but the photos we listed in AD were only a few KB... so try to reformat your photo. This is where the PhotoSource parameter becomes handy.

Good Luck!

hi Mark Swanson

I am using UDS as a directory source and its configured as UC service/service profile on CUCM GUI (nothing in Jabber-config.xml).
I am trying to get the picture populated for the windows and MAC jabber users.  In one of your note above you mentioned "If you elected to use UDS, photos would be retrieved (tunnel) through CUCM. Obviously, CUCM would obtain the photos from AD or whatever external db source".  I wanted to understand how CUCM would obtain photos from AD ?
My understanding is: for UDS external web server is the only option. Am I missing anything ?  

Just wondering, As I mentioned above I am using UDS as a directory source, Can i still use <PhotoSource>thumbnailPhoto</PhotoSource> in jabber-config.xml , will it work with UDS ? 

Thanks in advance for your help. 

That would be wrong, it's as you mention, UDS can only retrieve photos from a web server.

HTH

java