Views
Helpful
Replies

VLANs with Site To Site conncetions

james.king14
Level 1
Level 1

All,

I have a quick question which is a source of discussions at the office.  I contend that when VLAN information is sent through a Site to Site Connection and is natted, there is no need for the other end to have the same vlan information on firewall.  Am I correct?  If not why?

5 Replies 5

Aditya Ganjoo
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi James,

From VLAN information I understand you are referring to  the subnet used on one end.

As a thumb rule for VPN both the sides should not have overlapping subnets.

To overcome this we usually  NAT the real traffic at one end to a different IP/subnet.

Here is the config example:

https://supportforums.cisco.com/document/51491/asa-bi-directional-overlapping-nat-example-configuration

Regards,

Aditya

Please rate helpful posts.

The document is a good answer to that question but I need more clarity.  So if I nat everything through the Site to Site tunnel. An IP address from a ISP connection would work.  That brings me back to my initial question.  Since I have this ISP with a different IP.  Do I need to send my VLAN information to the Core Router.

Hi James,

Could you please elaborate your requirement and give some example to explain the problem you want to discuss.

It would help in suggsting apt solution.

RS

Hi Rishabh,

I am having an issue with routing over a S2S VPN.  I have several tunnel and trying to add a device.  I put an ACL on the switch and added statement to allow communications within the tunnel yet I cannot see the device at the remote end.

I guess my real question is with me using this base configuration at many sites will it cause a routing loop?  since i will be sourcing the VLAN (250) from the FW and from the remote router!  will the tunnel not see the ip address of the VLAN 250?

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card