Views
Helpful
Replies

% error in authentication

Louis Adams
Level 1
Level 1

HI,

I am trying to enable ssh on my cisco 3850 switch.  When i changed to aaa new-model and i try to ssh to the switch i get the username prompt and then i put in the username.  the first thing it says is "Using keyboard-interactive authentication."  then it prompts me for password.  I put the password in and it takes me to usermode.  Then when I type en to get to enable mode it gives me the following error.  "% error in authentication.  Currently the only way i can access privileged mode is by the console.  We do not have a tac+ server. We are just use local.  I tried to do some research and used the command aaa authentication enable default local in global config and that did not change anything.  Any Ideas what i am missing.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi,

Try these commands and test again:

username <username> privilege 15 password 7 <password>

aaa new-model

aaa authentication login default local

aaa authentication enable default enable

HTH

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi,

Try these commands and test again:

username <username> privilege 15 password 7 <password>

aaa new-model

aaa authentication login default local

aaa authentication enable default enable

HTH

Thanks that was it.  Works as expected now.

Actually I also had to issue the following command to stop the keyboard interactive message.

no ip ssh server authenticate user keyboard

and then I had forgotten to create the enable secret command.  once I did that all was good.

Glad to know it is all working now.

Thanks for the rating!

Hello Reza Sharifi, I am facing with the same issue as below. When I access the SW by consol and after login with local admin and password i get this below mode and I am not able to change the configuration. the Switch is in stack configuration. Looking for your advice.

SW-9500-01>en
Error in authentication.

WS-9500-01>?Error: Licensing infrastructure is NOT initialized.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card