Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Setting up a /22 subnet on a RV325 router

I am setting up a network for my church.  We need a guest network to allow people to come on Sunday and connect via smart phones, etc. and on other days to bring in laptops to meetings, etc.  I got the RV325 to cover the edge security.  I want to setup the following for our guest wireless network:

VLAN 25 - 10.20.40.0 / 22 as the network with the router having .1 address, and the 10.20.40.2 through 10.20.43.254 as DHCP addresses.

The web interface only allows for /24 and smaller subnet masks.  The CLI responds with a dump of command help every time I attempt to enter the command "interface vlan modify 25 ip 10.20.40.1 255.255.252.0" 

What will allow to configure this router to function for a /22 net mask?

1 Reply 1

KeeterJohnson
Level 1
Level 1

I feel your pain.  I see you posted this a few weeks ago and by now have either given up or found a solution.  In my case I gave up. 

I bought an RV325 to drop into an existing /22 network as a replacement for a competitive router.  The RV3xx clearly was designed with only /24 in mind.  I have never had a small router that could not easily support larger subnets until I bought this one.  My cynical side wonders if they crippled this model so it would not encroach on sales of their more expensive models.

For a while I tried breaking my larger net into four smaller subnets and assigning each to a separate VLAN.  But that caused other problems, especially with DHCP, and in general was a big nuisance to configure.

Also, I needed about 50 devices to have pre-assigned IP addresses in DHCP.  I read the Cisco RV325 manual before my purchase and it said it could support 100 bindings.  Turns out it's only 30.  In a future release that may go up to about 80.  But I've been waiting months and they never seem to get the firmware fixed.  Their apparent lack of quick attention to firmware issues is pathetic.

I hope you got this to work.  For me, this is/was my first and probably last Cisco product.  I have already bought another router from another company.  My RV325 sits unplugged.