Views
Helpful
Replies

Managing a Cisco 3850 Stack

tekgod001
Level 1
Level 1

Hello ALL,

I have got a Stack for 4 X 3850 and planning on removing the last member from the stack. I understand I need to Issue the command no switch stack-member-number provision after powering down the switch4. I am trying to find out how the sequential stack cables will be reconnected, in this case I will remove the stack cable connecting switch 3 and 4. Move the stack cable connecting switch 4 and 1 to switch 3, would this require switch 3 to be powered down as well ?

Based on the image below

http://www.cisco.com/c/dam/en/us/products/collateral/switches/catalyst-3750-series-switches/prod_white_paper09186a00801b096a.doc/_jcr_content/renditions/prod_white_paper09186a00801b096a-03.jpg

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Mark Malone
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi

No you shouldn't have to power down 3 , stack cables can be removed/connected while device is live without interruption to production traffic

View solution in original post

Hello

It would be fine however please be aware as you are doing this the full speed fabric backplane of the stack will be depleted until the stack ring is closed off by connecting switch 3 port 1 into switch 1 port 2

(that if your existing daisy chain stack ring is 1-2,  1-2 , 1-2,  2-1 )

res

paul

Please rate and mark as an accepted solution if you have found any of the information provided useful.
This then could assist others on these forums to find a valuable answer and broadens the community’s global network.

Kind Regards
Paul

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Mark Malone
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi

No you shouldn't have to power down 3 , stack cables can be removed/connected while device is live without interruption to production traffic

Hello

It would be fine however please be aware as you are doing this the full speed fabric backplane of the stack will be depleted until the stack ring is closed off by connecting switch 3 port 1 into switch 1 port 2

(that if your existing daisy chain stack ring is 1-2,  1-2 , 1-2,  2-1 )

res

paul

Please rate and mark as an accepted solution if you have found any of the information provided useful.
This then could assist others on these forums to find a valuable answer and broadens the community’s global network.

Kind Regards
Paul
Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card