Views
Helpful
Replies

initial troubleshooting LAN

jclj
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

The other day I had our BGP setup with out ISP get interrupted and took down Internet access for the company. I managed to get this back up, but since then I am seeing a small bit of latency. Not much, a ping test shows up to 12ms on the core switch. I have solarwinds in our environment and it's alerting me that a couple switches have some packet loss and one of our VMware nics is also having some packet loss.

I have looked at all the logs on the switches, turned on debugging, looked at the VMware logs and still can't find any issues. I will get an alert that there is high packet loss or a nic is down and then a minute later it's back up. I setup a syslog server for our environment and can't see any error messages.

I'm at a loss of where to look. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

1 Reply 1

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi,

The packet loss alerts you are getting from switches or VMs should not have anything to do with your BGP and Internet connection. Most likely SolarWinds is pinging an interface on the switch or VM and when it looses one ping it sends our alerts to you.  What is the percentage of the packet loss in the alerts you are getting?  Usually by default if SolarWinds misses one ping, it sends out an alerts with 10% packet loss.

HTH

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: