cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Where simply to start applying QoS and how?

NAZAR I ABBAS
Level 1
Level 1

Hi everyone, I am trying to apply QoS on a network that consist of 2 3560 switches interconnected through Fa0/24 and one of the switches is connected to a 2811 router, which in turn is connected to a routed ISP. the same setup apply on the other side to the ISP. I am learning how to configure QoS but got confused with where classification should be done and where congestion management should be applied. I have 4 Cisco IP phones connected 2 on each side and 2 PCs on each side configured with Ostinato streams. any suggestions? Thanks. by the way this is a test lab.

5 Replies 5

Hello.

Congestion management should be done on bottlenecks (like uplink interface of a switch or ISP-facing interfaces of the routers).

Regarding the classification - what is your [dscp] trust boundary (if any)?

Thanks for commenting, I have configured class maps to match voice traffic and set the dscp value as 46 did the same for 4 more classes of traffic and gave them the appropriate PHB classes. applied the service policy on all interfaces connecting phones and pcs.  Don't konw if that is correct though!!!

followed some video for Jeremy and Bogart but they don't mention exactly where on the switch should the QoS settings be applied, I am trying to follow what they are doing but the only thing missing is they don't say where to apply the configurations exactly. that is the bit I am missing!

the IOS version for the 2811 is (C2800NM-ADVIPSERVICESK9-M), Version 12.4(24)T7. the ISP router is used for connecting the two sites and only route traffic inbetween the two sites.  each of the sites router is configured as CME router providing telephony services to its LAN, the calls are then routed between the two sites through the ISP router. they both have the same bandwidth.

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

". . . connected to a routed ISP."  You're using Internet links?  If so, how are the sites logically connected?  Is the Internet link used for anything other than site-to-site traffic?  Do both sites have the same Internet bandwidth?

What IOS is running on the 2811s?

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card